What did you do with your Lr4 Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far you win 'Today'. That's a $grand$ +/- if you do five of them. Let us know what you think after you roll around on them for a while.
(Right now, I can't afford the 18's I would want). May just go to the car wash later and call it a day.
To make matters worse, I just ordered a LCA kit ($228), then I'll need an alignment.... so yeah....

At least I knew the LCAs were coming. Wanted to get more out of the tires but I've destroyed 2 sidewalls...

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess it’s not surprising that in a thread titled “What did you do with your LR4 today?”, 50% of the replies would be repair-related, LOL.]

I’ll break the streak and post something other than a repair: drove into the forest and brought home two xmas trees, 19’ and 13’ side by side on top of the car. Planned to drag the trees out of the forest by hand due to snow, but the 19’ was too big. Had to drive in and get it - I was afraid we’d get stuck, but LR4 did great. Pic is from the way back (no snow).
9E49FFAF-AA1E-409B-AD07-F73B9C61BD22.jpeg

CompassRT

Reaction score
That's a beautiful looking tree! I went up into the forest a week ago just to explore a new area and ran into half a dozen other people all out to grab a tree.

Got stuck in the snow on that trip, but I was the highest vehicle on the mountain that day! Took a few hours and some help to get out, and my water pump decided to give out during the recovery. Turned a mound of snow pink with coolant. So TODAY the water pump is being replaced by a local indy.

It was a long tow home. We had the dogs so we had to get a cab too. Expensive day in the forest. Lessons were learned.

B40B5D2D-125D-48A7-BA73-4920E88C3231_1_105_c.jpeg

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a beautiful looking tree! I went up into the forest a week ago just to explore a new area and ran into half a dozen other people all out to grab a tree.

Got stuck in the snow on that trip, but I was the highest vehicle on the mountain that day! Took a few hours and some help to get out, and my water pump decided to give out during the recovery. So TODAY the water pump is being replaced by a local indy.

It was a long tow home. We had the dogs so we had to get a cab too. Expensive day in the forest. Lessons were learned.

View attachment 12051

thats sad.
the most capable SUV not only got stuck, but it also broke down. lol

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear it CompassRT. Snow of any real depth off highway is pretty tough unless you’re running the right tires. I have BFG KO2’s and I was still afraid I’d get stuck as they’re not all that great in the snow and I didn’t have any traction devices on me that day. And we only saw a ranger and two other people the entire day.

The breakdowns in the forest are the nightmare. I’m super paranoid about it. I comb the forums for potential problems and try to replace parts before they wear out, keep tools in the car, but you can never be sure. It’s the curse you get when you buy one of these trucks, but I knew it going in.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear it CompassRT. Snow of any real depth off highway is pretty tough unless you’re running the right tires. I have BFG KO2’s and I was still afraid I’d get stuck as they’re not all that great in the snow and I didn’t have any traction devices on me that day. And we only saw a ranger and two other people the entire day.

The breakdowns in the forest are the nightmare. I’m super paranoid about it. I comb the forums for potential problems and try to replace parts before they wear out, keep tools in the car, but you can never be sure. It’s the curse you get when you buy one of these trucks, but I knew it going in.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adding to the Repair category in this thread, I replaced my lift gate actuator yesterday. Paying homage to the Land Rover Gods that I was able to open the gate one last time to do the fix. I didn’t have to struggle with panel removal from the inside of the cargo area.

The rubbery button above the license plate didn’t get enough juice to the actuator to fully open, it would just click. Just as I was prepared to climb back there and start digging around, I tried one more attempt with the fob. It had not worked in previous attempts. This time I heard a click and when I pushed on the rubbery hatch switch, the damn thing opened. Could not believe my luck. My advice— if you even have the slightest suspicion that your actuator is fading, get back there and replace it!

I bought the kit from AB but only used the new actuator and the water barrier. I hope to return the latch. I also removed the black plastic cover from the current actuator version. In the event I ever do need to get back there via the trim removal process, that cover would make thing difficult. Finally, I applied the zip tie hack to the point where the cable attaches to the actuator. This probably wasn’t necessary given the improvement to the connection point in the revised actuator, but it was easy enough to do and cheap insurance.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72