Would like assistance regarding Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

n1keaddict

Reaction score
Hello All - :hello:
I need your help in deciding what to buy from the tires noted below. Essentially any opinions, things I didn't think of, etc., etc. would be helpful.

Here's what I've narrowed my choices to:
Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S: 265/60R18
Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S: 275/60R18
General Grabber AT 2: 255/60R18

LR3 itself and generalities:

• Off road a few times a year, but mostly on pavement.
  • Will NOT be running a lift, I considered buying 285/60 but it just looks too awkward without a lift.
  • Will be driving in snowy & icy conditions as well as frequent rainy conditions.
  • I've been told I must use a minimum of 110/111 load and an S speed rating; so Hankook ATM RF10's are out, even though some owners run these. I'd run them but don't want to risk anything due to the low 109 load rating.
  • I want the All Terrain / Aggressive look of a tire that can be mounted all year-round, fairly quiet (Not keen on Silent Armour's, already looked into them), fills the wheel well enough, and looks just right..

Also, whats the difference in look as well as performance between 265 vs 275 on the Yokohama's? The Generals are pricey (218 a piece) and hard to find other than T Rack. Any suggestions & opinions welcomed and If anyone has these mounted can you please post pics..?

Hope anyone can help -- Thanks a bunch!

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nitto Terra Grappler, run it on both of my rigs....
DSCN2002.jpg

DSCN2003.jpg

Quiet, tows great, great in weather, and nice off road.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Load Range/Ply Rating XL is what matters most.

The speed ratings to not bother me much as I am a slow speed driver, however Load Range, the XL Load Range requirement that the 3 requires is what matters to me.

The Load Range is to me more an indication of how tough, (or not), the tyre is built. Load Range is kind of the radial version of ply rating on the older bias ply tyres.

The General Grabber in the stock 255 60 R18 size have the XL, (eXtra Load), rating, whereas other sizes of the same tyre are just SL, (Standard Load), rated. I am also a fan of the stock tyre size as larger generally means more unsprung mass. Somewhere around 38 to 40 lbs/tyre is probably OK.

With the Silent Armour, the Load Range can be a concern even though they are for the most part, a very desirable tyre. Any tyre with Kevlar in them is generally a good tyre.

Both sizes of the Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S are SL rated. That of course does not stop people from mounting them as they may also be slow drivers who rarely load up or stress their 3, or they just like the look.

I note that the Nitto Terra Grappler tyres in the stock 18" are XL rated and 112 S.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=55

Rogo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run the Geolander ATS 265/60/18. They are SL, but they're also 110H, which is 2,337 lbs per tire and 130 mph. Both are more than acceptable for me, and I do tow a 4,000 trailer half a dozen time a year. I believe the weight rating is at max PSI of 50... Not sure on that, but I run the rears at 42 when I tow... At one point I had calculated that that was more than enough to carry the weight of the truck plus 500 lbs of tongue weight. I run them at 40 all around normally.

At any rate, so far so good. They've been on for 20-30,000 miles and I've towed on multiple several thousand mile trips.

They are quiet and have been wearing well. I try to rotate them every 5K and they need it. The fronts wear faster than the rears for sure, but I don't think that's tire-specific.

They've been off road and do well, but they're not a mud tire.

Will the 275/60/18 fit?

Rover junkie

Reaction score
Ditto on the Nittos! I have 6 vehicles and a large fleet for my company and Ive tried about every brand out there. Mastercraft will outlast anytire hands down but they dont have an AT that fits the LR3 so I run Nitto Terra Grapplers 255/60 18. I drive 30K a year and have been extremely impressed by them. I pull a large horse trailer and am frequently in the mud and have never got it stuck. They look great and wear great.

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran 265/60-18's on my LR3 and think they are a great tire. They were quieter and provided a smoother ride on the road than the OE GY's. They also provided better dry/wet grip and hydroplane resistance. Offroad, I would rank them better than the Pirelli ATR and about even with the Revo. I liked them because they were not too big and heavy, had an acceptable LI and were HR rated. Were I to do it again, I may be tempted to go for the 275's, but at the time the dealer would not honor the warranty if I went bigger than 30.5".

90% of my off tarmac driving is on a cattle ranch with very steep terrain, with the only boulders being encountered were in stream crossings; hence, I do not need heavy sidewalls.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dimitricourmousis