1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air suspension shock replacement

Discussion in 'LR3' started by Paul Albert, Sep 23, 2020.

Car Parts
  1. Paul Albert

Paul Albert Active Member

I looked up air spring vs air struts and from what I could see the spring was the cylinder and the air strut looked like the cylinder with a strut inside
    So I guess that is the difference
    My 2008 Rover has been in the vegas heat all it’s life so I guess that probably why they are leaking

2. remember5

remember5 Full Access Member

Here is the shop manual overview of the rear suspension, that may help clarify things a bit.

Attached Files:

3. Ian Morrison

Ian Morrison Biffo 69

Go for Genuine Shocks.Patten Shocks are ok if you need to put some on to get you home but in my opinion they do not last half as long as the genuine Air Shocks. Mine are coming up for replacement soon. I’ve covered 136000 miles now and have noticed the rubber gaiters are starting to split on the 2 rear shocks. I’m going too wait until the front suspension arms need replacing so I can do the complete job all together. My rear suspension arms were changed in 2019 with Polybushes so I will do the fronts with Polybushes too.

4. Paul Albert

I now have several emissions codes to correct in order to pass the nevada smog
    I will record them when the shop gives them to me

5. Paul Albert

Thanks for the shop manual that explains a lot of the questions I had in reference to the air suspension

remember5 likes this.
  6. maxx4wd

maxx4wd Full Access Member

I replaced my fronts with Arnott about 2 years ago and feel they are as good if not better then the OEM stuff. My rears just started leaking about a month ago after rebuilding all the air valves so I'm about to order the 2 rears as well. One note Arnott recently put out a newer revised version for the fronts and rears with a little firmer shock - for me pulling the trailer and having 3 kids with crap I welcome the additional valving but you may or may not. Another side note (I know that the rears can last a bit longer but for the age of our vehicles I've notice that almost all the functional rubber items starting to degrade lately - rear driveshaft carriage bearing bushing, some of the not frequently replaced upper control arm bushings, etc. so it may be a perfect time to check those items while your in there.

7. Ruper

Ruper Full Access Member

Check Rockauto.com, Arnotts are carried by them and I think they were cheaper than $450.00 for rears if you go that route.

8. Paul Albert

Rock auto Arnott are cheaper $380

9. Paul Albert

The codes are
    PO171 system too lean bank 1
    PO174 system too lean bank 2

10. TheKOI

TheKOI New Member

I replaced my air struts with Arnotts at 173+ miles, today the odometer is reading 233+ and so far the struts are holding my abuse on/off-road like a champ.