Battery Issue? AGM Lifetime?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One question I have that LR3s are like driving computers what will those high frequency pulses do to this gentle and delicate Landrover LRUs and electronics?

I have a fancy charger that has a desulfurization mode and it explicitly states to disconnect your auto battery prior to using it. So just curious if you experienced any wonky Wes and electric Gremlins starting to breed in your Landrover since install?
Zero issues since installation.

What fancy charger brand/model do you have that requires disconnecting the battery? I've never heard of that!

BendRover123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am currently double checking with their customer support:

NOCO Genius 10AMP supposedly the best charger around. That said I did manage to **** an H8 AGM battery with it trying the desulfurization and repair on it since capacity was sort of failing after a little over a year- it was an Odyssey battery supposed to be good quality but ended up not working out.

https://no.co/media/nocodownloads/format/g/e/genius10na_user_guide.pdf

NOCO Support Email Quote:

ts.zendesk.com%2Fimages%2F2016%2Fdefault-avatar-80.png

Kathy (NOCO)

Feb 13, 2021, 5:29 MST

Hello,

Thank you for contacting NOCO Support.

We recommend that you do remove the battery from the vehicle when using Repair Mode.
Kind regards,

Kathy
NOCO Support

What fancy charger brand/model do you have that requires disconnecting the battery? I've never heard of that!

Last edited:

BendRover123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you clarify on what cars type model year you have tried that thing on and what type f batteries, all flooded or AGM etc.

BendRover123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's crazy that a 1994 VW Golf II probably had a better and more reliable charging system hah. That should have been a Landrover Recall considering Millions of Batteries that all died premature deaths in the LR3 8)!

The charging system on these trucks sucks. Period. I have cycled through all of the ccf profiles, and never noticed a measurable difference within a few days after the ccf reset.

My solution was to mount a charger under the hood with a receptacle mounted in the front bumper so I can easily plug it in, and then also mount a solar panel so it gets a constant charge anytime the sun is out.

Doing something like this is the only way you are going to get these things to maintain anywhere near a full charge.

The crap charging has been my biggest complaint after 9 years of ownership.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you clarify on what cars type model year you have tried that thing on and what type f batteries, all flooded or AGM etc.
I've been using the PowerPulse unit and PulseTech Xtreme Charger on about a dozen different Mercedes models from late 80's through mid 00's, and the LR4. All Group 48 and 49 batteries, both flooded and AGM, both OE and various brands aftermarket. This has been over about 15 years.

I have never used NOCO chargers but I do have a couple of their booster packs. The GB40 had extremely disappointing performance, the GB70 performed well. I haven't tried any of their other boosters. For any Land Rover, I'd recommend a GB70 as a minimum if looking for booster packs... YMMV, etc.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am currently double checking with their customer support:

NOCO Genius 10AMP supposedly the best charger around. That said I did manage to **** an H8 AGM battery with it trying the desulfurization and repair on it since capacity was sort of failing after a little over a year- it was an Odyssey battery supposed to be good quality but ended up not working out.

https://no.co/media/nocodownloads/format/g/e/genius10na_user_guide.pdf

I have the same charger. You only need (should) remove the battery when using the force or repair mode. The battery can remain connected during normal charging.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have several NOCO chargers and have been very happy with them. One lives under the hood of the LR4 and various others scattered around the house and farm.

I have revived at least 2 batteries using the "repair" function.

BendRover123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah ok that answers my question, i was also mainly curious about the repair mode/ desulfization mode. I need to set myself a calendar reminder to charge it ~ 2 Months or so.

I am intrigued about that add on self powered system.

I have the same charger. You only need (should) remove the battery when using the force or repair mode. The battery can remain connected during normal charging.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
I have a new battery challenge.

2016 LR4 Just replaced the main battery and the ECO battery at the same time.
Everything good, and no ECO light.
Replaced H8 with H8

(ECO battery, FYI is an Exide EK151, available Groves Battery, Cheltenham. They shipped to me in Houston, TX. Super easy to work with.
Even with expensive shipping it's $100 less than local dealer battery.)

Then IID Tool reset the battery type and told it there was a new battery.
Previous change out never updated battery and so I updated the software from T7 to H8 battery type.

And now the dang ECO light is on!

Should I let it run a while with the new settings?
Do you think the fault will clear itself once the battery "settles in"
Should I just set the battery back to T7?

This truck is just messing with me and laughing at me....

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do nothing for a week or so of driving - that I find is an effective fix when I know the problem is something software related.

After a week, I would do the hard reset - often have to do that when I install a new battery in my LR3, fortunately no ECO light but lots of flashing red and yellow dash lights.

An H8 battery is a size 8 of AGM internal construction; a T7 is the smaller size 7 and used to be called an H7, but now is named a T7 as it is the older lead acid flooded sort of "sealed" (removable flush screw caps) battery that was originally in my LR3 - well it was called an H8 but I now install the size 7 as it is easier to fit it in.

If waiting changes nothing, I would then go back to the T7 software setting as I presume the H8 AGM software does not like the ECO light.

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/products/mt-92/t7

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72