Big LR4 issue, cut losses and sell vs fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SwampMonster

Reaction score
Received very sad news today. Going to be expensive either way, but appreciate your advice.

High pressure fuel pump/s And vacuum pump failed, fuel pump threw metal shavings into injectors, and knocked it out of timing. Problem arose while simply idling, began to idle rough, misfires in 2,4,6,8 and soon after the same on all cylinders. Price to change both fuel pumps, vacuum pump, all injectors, remove timing cover and timing adjusted, and upgrade plastic timing chain guide (it's a 2010 LR4) is 6700 total parts and labor. At another time I might have had the time to do this myself but life is too busy right now.

I love the damn truck and thus it's hard to make a rational decision. It's got 110k miles and literally taking me around the country a few times. Likewise it's a bit of a betting game regardless of which path I choose, but hoping to best estimate the odds.

I don't see that I have a choice other than to shell out the cash to fix, as no real option to sell for parts etc.

If we have it fixed, my concern is how much life could I expect and would I trust it again. I would be willing to shell out even more cash if I could reliably expect to get considerable life out of it, but not sure that is realistic.

Other choice is to fix and trade in/sell. Sadly I don't see another choice that suits my needs/wants as well as the lr4 did, or not in my price range. Don't think I'd want to dig deeper in the hole and get another lr4.

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second that. Take it to another shop and get another estimate. If not, get yourself a used Honda for $500 to get around and do the work yourself if you’re mechanically inclined at whatever pace fits into your busy life. If you do the work i’m sure it won’t ever happen again as what happened to you sounds like plain bad luck. Once the crossover pipes and timing chain guides and tensioners are done as well there’s no reason why your rig shouldn’t last 300k miles. Our rigs are going to be increasingly rare/popular in a few years and not that i’m knocking the defender or range rover...it just aint an LR4.

SwampMonster

Reaction score
Take it to another shop

Already planning to call around for more quotes tomorrow. Is this a general recommendation or specific to the price for the work I mention?

I am of course interested in saving money, but it's not so much the cost that scares me, it's the cost AND not being sure of the longer term health of the engine. If I felt reassured of that I would be all in on the necessary repairs etc. I would love nothing more than to keep driving this specific car, I have a lot of good memories with it.

jsanders632

Reaction score
I've heard of people doing insurance claims for blown Land Rover engines. In fact there was one recently I remember reading about either here or expedition portal I can't remember. It was a SCV6 but their insurance covered the cost of repair. Not sure who they were insured with but worth a shot.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with 2nd opinion/quote. It will be expensive no doubt, but I am not sure that all sounds like $6.7k-expensive.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm confused on how the fuel pump failure knocked it out of timing. Yes, they are can driven, but theoretically the tappet should protect the auxiliary cam from skipping.

I can see the vacuum pump causing a misfire condition due to the escape or introduction of unaltered air and throwing the fuel curve. Coupled with the dying injectors. I would almost recommend just replacing pumps, injectors, and vacuum pump and see what she does.

Coffee

Reaction score
Damn. This makes me want to preemptively replace the high pressure fuel pump and vacuum pump on my 89K mile 2013 LR4 just to avoid any possibility of it happening to mine. It's a recent purchase for me, I'll review it's service records, and see if they've already been replaced by the former owners.

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn. This makes me want to preemptively replace the high pressure fuel pump and vacuum pump on my 89K mile 2013 LR4 just to avoid any possibility of it happening to mine. It's a recent purchase for me, I'll review it's service records, and see if they've already been replaced by the former owners.

I know the feeling you're bringing up...don't jump to do anything to your ride outside of normal maintenance. This is likely an isolated issue that isn't common as we haven't seen lots of folks reporting it. Get comfortable in your ride and keep up with the normal maintenance but don't freak out about trying to prevent an issue. (trust me, I did the same thing after I bought my '13 and landed in this forum thinking "what the heck did I just get into?")

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA