Brake Pads replacement at 10K miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sent the Discovery 4 in for service (18 months/12K miles) and I got a quote to replace the pads, which according to the service manager, required replacement.

The sensors haven't shown up indicating excessive wear yet. HAve any of you changed pads before sensors indicated the need?

The quote was $280 for the pads (front & rear) plus $120 for labour.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are a little mechanical, do the brake job yourself. For a good set of Akebono ceramic pads your looking at around $150 f/r and your labor.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to do all maintenance and then some other work (clutch, carb, valves and even an engine rebuild) on my cars (mostly Toyota Land Cruisers) when I was younger :hmpf:

I own a 2011 TDV6 Discovery 4 HSE with 18" rims. Do you have any idea of where I could find the pads I'd need? The brake calipers are not the same as on the US LR4 with 19" rims.

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sent the Discovery 4 in for service (18 months/12K miles) and I got a quote to replace the pads, which according to the service manager, required replacement.

The sensors haven't shown up indicating excessive wear yet. HAve any of you changed pads before sensors indicated the need?

The quote was $280 for the pads (front & rear) plus $120 for labour.

Yes sir! It happened to me. I did NOT do the job until the sensors went off (about 45 days later). If you look at my posts you can fill your stomache with the brake pads stories. I would love to get aftermarket pads again but when i did the dealership claims they damaged the rotors and replaced everything in exchange for my first born! :)

rostov

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I would get very suspicious with 12K brake replacement… I had 18K on mine when front pads were replaced, and those were not gone yet, just started making very light noise while braking sometimes… And I drive my cars hard.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to do all maintenance and then some other work (clutch, carb, valves and even an engine rebuild) on my cars (mostly Toyota Land Cruisers) when I was younger :hmpf:

I own a 2011 TDV6 Discovery 4 HSE with 18" rims. Do you have any idea of where I could find the pads I'd need? The brake calipers are not the same as on the US LR4 with 19" rims.

Do a Google search for Akebono, call their customer service number and speak with a rep, they are a friendly bunch.
Then start looking on Amazon and E-Bay or Parts Warehouse.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes sir! It happened to me. I did NOT do the job until the sensors went off (about 45 days later). If you look at my posts you can fill your stomache with the brake pads stories. I would love to get aftermarket pads again but when i did the dealership claims they damaged the rotors and replaced everything in exchange for my first born! :)

I'll hold off on replacing the pads until sensors go off. I think I'll let them do the job and provide the parts.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey alex and everyone,

I just brought my truck in for it's 2 year service (or 30K miles) and he told me at almost 20,000 miles my brakes look brand new....

This is great news :)

-David

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM