check engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A

Aaron

Hey yall, i just bought my first 1996 Disco. Week after i got it, the check engine light has come on. When code was check it read somthing about ignition and or misfire. Since i'v had the truck, if you rev the motor very slow, the whole truck will shake up till 2k rpm or so(btw other than the slow revving shakes the more runs great and has run the same since i got it... do yall have any ideas
Thanks For any help
Aaron

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Depending on what maintenance you have done, I would start with changing out the plugs, wires and run some seafoam through it. You can search on seafoam to get more info.

Wires I would go with Magnacore or similar.

Plugs Cheap Champions seem to run the best in any LR product, but need changed every 15k.

A

Aaron

Good deal. i Changed the plugs and did the seam foam thing.. Reset the check engine light. Let's pray that darn thing does'nt come up again... I'll put the new wires on this coming week. They auto store had to order them.. Let's hope this is'nt the valve problem...

A

Aaron

Well after the plugs and sea foam. i reset the check engine light, and about 40 miles later the light came on again.. Any idea's. I just find it weird that we you rev the engine it's very smooth but when the rpms come back down from 1400-600 evertyhing kinda shakes.... feels like the engine is stubbling out...

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Might have a bad MAF sensor or at least dirty. Try cleaning the MAF. Non-residue contact cleaner, remove from the RR, clean via the screen side, clean all plug contacts - reapply de-electric grease to plugs. Let MAF dry for at least 20 minutes, then reinstall.

Other than this, I would say possible fuel filter/fuel pump issues.

A

Aaron

I'll try that and let yall know how that goes tonight.
Thanks for your help

B

BrettSanDiego

It would be more helpful to have the OBDII code or codes that are accompanying your check engine light. Does the 96 Discovery have a distributor, or is it fully electronic ignition? If so, I would recommend changing the rotor and cap as well as the plug wires and plugs. Also, worry about ignition coils... For that matter, worry about anything and everything involved in spark generation. What about ignition timing (again if it's not electronic ignition)?

Brett

Last edited by a moderator:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Only the '95 and older LR's have a Dizzy. '96 and newer are computer controlled. Generally a misfire code can mean alot of things, normally start with the inexpensive stuff. Plugs/wires/fuel filter/seafoam/cleaning MAF.

B

BrettSanDiego

Thanks, Joey. Ignition coils could still be a problem. I presume the engine has a coil for each spark plug. I'm just not familiar with the Disco at all. I've only had my 2001 model Rover 30th Anniversary Edition for a couple of months.

Brett

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
You have a point there, the '96 and newer have a coil pack (i.e. 4 coils = 1 for two cylinders) if one is going bad, this may cause the issue, but I would still lean toward other problems only because after 2k rpm he states it runs fine.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99