Control arm fail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lucky8 is a good Land Rover parts supplier, but I don't trust their house brand suspension parts further than I can kick them.

lmwong

Reaction score
Lesson learned. I am happy to be walking away with only a wounded wallet. Genuine parts going on from now on. Both sides will be replaced.

The ride was stiff as hell as soon as we had them installed and I regretted the choice ever since, especially now! For some reason I had thought they would be more durable than original.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The poly bushings were indeed more durable than the original rubber bushings! I too regret putting the poly on, they make the ride a bit harsh, more NVH. Add the worry that the LCA will fail and it's tempting to switch back, especially since I need to get it aligned again anyway.

itsaguything

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truly, I’ve found this to be the case for most driving systems parts. I‘ve tried non oem brakes on too many occasions on many vehicles. They never last as long and the performance is mediocre at best.

So I agree with you, oem for essential systems. But I will entertain other suppliers for accessories. And only high end accessories, at that.
You get what you pay for.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Oh, this happened to me too with THE exact Lucky8 HD poly LCAs. I was out on an easy trail and the front RH LCA snapped on me at the exact same place pulling out the axle at the CV joint and pinched the air strut. I was lucky to have friends source the parts and travel 150 miles next day to get me back on my 7 day trip. Polys deflect all the vibrations to weaker areas and it happens to be at that spot. Mine were about a year old too. My Meyle HDs just came in and I'm about to DIY along with new inner/outer tie rods.

Blueaz

Reaction score
That's unacceptable - Lucky 8 needs to pull this product. Glad I didn't buy them when it was time to my upper & lower arms.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
If anyone is seriously thinking about getting the Lucky8 HD kit, make sure you weld tabs to strengthen the top and bottom of the bushing body, especially towards the front.

I got my Meyle HD LCAs and Inner Tie rods on yesterday, waiting for the alignment later on today. Lets hope this will last, if not lifetime warranty from fcpeuro.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's unacceptable - Lucky 8 needs to pull this product. Glad I didn't buy them when it was time to my upper & lower arms.

I used Lucky8 control arms when my factory control arm bushings went. After about 13 months, the ball joints in the Lucky8 arms had deteriorated and were making a terrible sound. I called Lucky8 and they said there was nothing they could or would do about it. I pulled those arms and replaced them.

Like I said, I'd use them for other things like sliders or similar (because, owning a Land Rover, there aren't too many aftermarket options), but never again on off-brand replacement/maintenance parts.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am on the fence about proactively replacing mine - the indy shop recommended the poly bushings to avoid frequent replacement of the oil-filled ones when I first bought it, so I did that not knowing any better. I'm due an alignment, so perhaps I bite the bullet and swap to the Meyle HD, or just swap to the stock ones and just do the FCPEuro warranty when they let go. Having a catastrophic failure on a trail would suck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM