Control Arms or Warped Rotors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt Taylor

Reaction score
Hey all, I have a 2011 LR4 with 145,000 miles. I replaced my front brakes in April of 2020 with EBC 3GD Slotted Rotors and pads. Looking for some help to diagnose a problem that has recently started in the last month or so. When applying brakes starting at around 30 mph I get some steering wheel shake that gets progressively worse the higher the speed. It's not insanely bad at this point, but I can definitely notice it. Is this a sign that my control arms are starting to go? Is there a way to easily diagnose if its the CA's or warped rotors? I've searched youtube and a bit on this form as well as landroverforums.com, but haven't found a definitive solution to diagnoses. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks all!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be the control arm bushings. Look to see if there's any oily goop around the rear control arm bushings.

You can also try braking hard from around 10 mph and see if you hear a clunk.

Matt Taylor

Reaction score
Thanks @ryanjl! If its the bushings, am I better off replacing the whole control arm or just the bushings? Given the mileage on the truck am I due to replace the whole part anyways? Is this something that I could swap or do I need to have a press? Appreciate you.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whole control arm, unless you value your time more cheaply than I do.

If you are paying to have it done, most places won't even just do the bushing. Once you factor in the labor rate per hour, it's not too big a difference to just pay more for the whole control arm (and get new bushings all around and a new ball joint) than it is just the pushing (and pay for their time removing it).

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You likely have some pad transfer build up. If you do lots of light braking it could be a problem. Mine tends to behave like yours and some long hard (and I mean hard) braking intervals clears it right up.

Free to try too.

AdventureTim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 to control arm bushings. I have an issue currently where the steering vibrates from left to right under braking for speeds greater than 45 mph and it's lower control arm bushings.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks @ryanjl! If its the bushings, am I better off replacing the whole control arm or just the bushings? Given the mileage on the truck am I due to replace the whole part anyways? Is this something that I could swap or do I need to have a press? Appreciate you.
I replaced my bushings without taking the control arm off (even left the wheel on...) Jacked up the truck, removed only the camber bolts (note position for refit so that your alignment isn’t wack) and control arm where it connects to frame. Drilled out the bushing rubber and then used a saws all with a metal blade to remove the bushing sleeve. Inserted new poly bushing and then cam bolt back in. Align the truck after. All four bushings took less than an hour to replace.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My suggestion is to replace the entire arm that will come with new uprated ball joints. Also replace the sway bar bushings, they are cheap and reduce play.

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised you still have the originals at 145k. Mine were beginning to go at 80k and I got the control arms and bushing all done at once.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut