Coolant Crossover Pipe Repair 5.0 V8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those o-rings probably swelled up when the pipe was removed.
It would be difficult to install the pipes if they started off that size.

Attachments

• oring.jpg
    oring.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 29

RoverTide

Reaction score
I only point it out because it matters in the context of people on this board trying to figure out how often they should do preventative maintenance on the item.

Yours is an extreme outlier data point, and I was just trying to determine why.
Good point. I'll look at the old pipe again, and see if there are any markings or numbers on it that may tell me where it came from. If I see anything, I'll report back.

RoverTide

Reaction score
Those o-rings probably swelled up when the pipe was removed.
It would be difficult to install the pipes if they started off that size.
My guess, based on how it looked when I took the pipe off, is that the o-ring got stuck on the edge of the hole when they inserted the pipe on one side (maybe they didn't lubricate it with coolant?). So it did not seat properly, and was stretched/pinched for its 30k mile life in the car, until the tubes finally broke. Note to anyone considering doing this job, pay extra attention to the o-rings when you seat the pipe. Make sure you use some coolant to lube them. Not sure if using any other type of lubricant is a good idea considering how sensitive these cooling systems are to contaminants. Maybe others with more experience can chime in on that.

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I did mine, I bought mine from Atlantic British.. Turned out to be a cheap knockoff, the quality (inside and out) was terrible. I could force it into place, but it didn't seem to seat correctly. Into the garbage it went, and I was off to the dealership. The OEM popped right into place, and now I sleep well at night.

I tend to be thrifty, but I think we can all agree that this is a part not worth skimping on!

MP

@ryanjl I owe you a fluid pump.:p

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I did mine, I bought mine from Atlantic British.. Turned out to be a cheap knockoff, the quality (inside and out) was terrible. I could force it into place, but it didn't seem to seat correctly. Into the garbage it went, and I was off to the dealership. The OEM popped right into place, and now I sleep well at night.

I tend to be thrifty, but I think we can all agree that this is a part not worth skimping on!

MP

@ryanjl I owe you a fluid pump.:p

Sorry to hear that. Did Atlantic British claim it was an OEM part?

RoverTide

Reaction score
Good point. I'll look at the old pipe again, and see if there are any markings or numbers on it that may tell me where it came from. If I see anything, I'll report back.
I looked at the old pipe and it had FoMoCo stamped on the side.

Blueaz

Reaction score
I had my crossover pipes done in March 2021 at 77,147 miles. I bought my 2013 LR4 in August 2020 at 69,200 miles knowing full well that the crossover pipes would be done within a year of ownership. After 7 months there was that distinct Land Rover ownership delight...the sweet smell of sizzling coolant...

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still running the originals, 84k here. Gotta get it done soon.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to wonder if preventative maintenance is cost effective. On the face of it, that seems like a no-brainer, but reading all these posts makes me start to wonder. I checked out getting the timing chain and water pump and cross over pipes done by a reputable indy that specializes in Land Rovers. They also throw in spark plugs and wires (maybe the coils, can't remember) and the fuel injectors. They quoted me a little shy of $8,000 (but it wouldn't surprise me if it turns out closer to $10,000). Then what happens if the engine blows up anyway?

Right now, the rig runs fine, but I feel like I'm sitting on a ticking time bomb. Would getting all this work done and paying all this money take away that feeling? I'd walk from the whole thing if I paid what was the equivalent of a major repair in preventative maintenance only to have the engine blow up anyway (maybe for some other reason) and find I now have all this sunk preventative maintenance costs AND still need to pay to replace the engine. Maybe I would be better off just driving it and enjoying it and if the engine blows up knowing that it might make more sense to just replace the engine than pay to preventatively maintain the one it has. Sounds crazy, right?

After considering it, I think I've come up with the answer to my own question. If you can't afford to do both (major preventative maintenance and engine replacement) you shouldn't do either. Otherwise, it becomes a "money pit" that you can't afford to dig your way out of.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM