Coolant Crossover Pipe Repair 5.0 V8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoverTide

Reaction score
The saga continues... About a hundred miles after installing the new water pump, oil cooler coolant pipe, and crossovers, the damn thing puked up coolant all over the valley, and front of the engine again... I assumed the new Y-Pipe failed, so i took it apart again, and could not find anything broken. Took the y-pipe off and tested the seams by taping up the holes and blowing air into it, and determined the pipe itself doesn't leak... the only other things I did when I put it back together (besides inspecting everywhere I could think of for leaks) was... 1. I gave the oil cooler pipe a slight bit more of a turn into the "Locked" position... and 2. I added a few washers to the top mounting screw on the Y-pipe (near the hose that goes to the thermostat). Reason I did that, is because when I seated the Y-pipe and torqued it down to the block, there was about a 3/8 inch gap between the plastic pipe and the screw hole (this is where the washers went), so when I would tighten the top screw, it would slightly pull the pipe forward and, I assume, unseat the y-pipe on the block (opposite the mounting screws) just enough to let coolant get past the o-rings... strange, but so far, its holding coolant. :dontknow:

On to the next project... Windshield cowl and A-pillar clip replacement.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are you bleeding the cooling system? If you do the vacuum fill/bleed you can pressure test it before running the engine.

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reason I did that, is because when I seated the Y-pipe and torqued it down to the block, there was about a 3/8 inch gap between the plastic pipe and the screw hole (this is where the washers went), so when I would tighten the top screw, it would slightly pull the pipe forward and, I assume, unseat the y-pipe on the block (opposite the mounting screws) just enough to let coolant get past the o-rings... strange, but so far, its holding coolant.
If I were you I would be wondering about that replacement pipe (fit) and if it's the correct spec., or maybe the quality. Which source?...dealer?

RoverTide

Reaction score
How are you bleeding the cooling system? If you do the vacuum fill/bleed you can pressure test it before running the engine.
Opening bleeder valves, full heat front and rear, running engine at 3k rpm for a bit... Then driving it and checking tank levels often... Rinse repeat. Also checking tank and radiator hoses every morning when cold.

If I keep having issues, I will prob be looking at the vacuum fill/bleed tool.

RoverTide

Reaction score
If I were you I would be wondering about that replacement pipe (fit) and if it's the correct spec., or maybe the quality. Which source?...dealer?
Agreed. I thought I purchased the genuine LR pipe from Atl British as part of a kit they sell, but apparently the water pump and oil cooler pipe were the only genuine LR parts in my order... I purchased over the phone, so maybe I wasn't clear, or the guy misinterpreted me. Will probably be purchasing a new one from the LR dealer in the near future.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heat can be harsh. I'm not brave enough yet to take my LR4 to Death Valley when it is 130F, but I've driven it in 120F heat. When I got the truck the weather was super hot and it looked like the rear crossover sprung a new leak and dripped down on the transmission. I'm curious if the radiator is another fail point or do they typically last longer than 150k? If I recall correctly, they are part plastic which is a new thing for me.

Not sure how common radiator problems are, but mine was replaced when I had my timing chains done as part of the last hurrah at the tail end of my CPO warranty. Just under 80k miles and just under 6 years old.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99