Crossover Pipe - Replace Pre-Emptively?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking about it, I wonder if it would be possible to cobble something more durable together from off the shelf parts like braided stainless and it's associated connectors that are available.

I would think it would be much easier to 3d print "end" pieces where the existing item connects to the engine. Then go stainless hose between them with a manifold or junction connector where the other hoses diverge off of the crossover pipe.

Just spitballin' here.

I would think the biggest issues would be properly sizing the hose so it provided an equivalent level of coolant flow, and secure connections so you don't introduce another potential point of failure.

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dunno...braided might react to the coolant. There's a lot of testing and thought that would need to go into this. Why not just make this a routine schedule replacement at a certain mileage / age instead of reengineering it entirely?

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dunno...braided might react to the coolant. There's a lot of testing and thought that would need to go into this. Why not just make this a routine schedule replacement at a certain mileage / age instead of reengineering it entirely?

For me the attraction would be to lessen the chance of a catastrophic failure out in the middle of somewhere like Big Bend National Park.

I agree that changing it on a schedule is prudent, but it is a known weak point that can and has failed on people without warning.

I guess I could throw one in the parts kit, but that would still leave you short of coolant in the desert

I also might have a different Outlook than many. I don't plan to ever get rid of my 4, so anything I do to increase long term reliability is a plus for me, with the commensurate long time frame to amortize the cost.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking about it, I wonder if it would be possible to cobble something more durable together from off the shelf parts like braided stainless and it's associated connectors that are available.

I would think it would be much easier to 3d print "end" pieces where the existing item connects to the engine. Then go stainless hose between them with a manifold or junction connector where the other hoses diverge off of the crossover pipe.

Just spitballin' here.

I would think the biggest issues would be properly sizing the hose so it provided an equivalent level of coolant flow, and secure connections so you don't introduce another potential point of failure.

My preference would be to get a durable oe similar design made of aluminum...only potential failure point with that solution is the o-rings...

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
made of aluminum
Is the rest of the system aluminum? The concern comes with reactions to the type of metal by the coolant. That's why different vehicles take different types...well one of the reasons. If you introduced AL into the system it's possible you'd have scaling/plugging/new issues to deal with. There has to be a reason that LR went with plastic...and it wasn't designed to fail IMO

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me the attraction would be to lessen the chance of a catastrophic failure out in the middle of somewhere like Big Bend National Park.
I get that but there are a hundred other things that could go wrong that would land you in catastrophic failure and you wouldn't have the parts. What are the odds of the crossover exploding vs. air shock blowing vs. fuse vs. etc. I would think if you keep this under maintenance and do regular checkups then it's probably less likely to fail when you least expect it. I'm not against finding a better solution for the plastic but at what cost?

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get that but there are a hundred other things that could go wrong that would land you in catastrophic failure and you wouldn't have the parts. What are the odds of the crossover exploding vs. air shock blowing vs. fuse vs. etc. I would think if you keep this under maintenance and do regular checkups then it's probably less likely to fail when you least expect it. I'm not against finding a better solution for the plastic but at what cost?

Risk management.

Interestingly, the other items you quoted I am prepared to deal with when heading out.

Spare front and rear air strut - Yep. In the bin.
Spare fuses - Yep. In the bin.
A metric f@ck ton of other odds and ends to deal with vehicle issues - Yep. In the bin

And quite honestly, I could probably cobble together some field expedient repair from assorted bits of heater hose, hose clamps, JBWELD, etc. to deal with a ruptured crossover pipe. I just don't want to.

The crossover pipe sticks in my gill, because it is a known point failure, with somewhat random timing. I guess I could throw one in the bin, as well. Problem with that, is that then you are down to carrying additional coolant (which weighs a ton and takes up an inordinate amount of space), using your freshwater supply to refill the cooling system, or hanging out long enough to *** in the radiator to fill it up...

Actually, that last one made laugh. "Hey honey, can you help me finish up by hopping up under the hood here and squatting over this little hole..."

I have no doubt I am in that last 1% of users who care about this level of reliability, but as I said earlier, it is a long term deal for me. If I could drop a grand on a part that would be unlikely to ever fail, it wouldn't phase me as much as trying to replace something on the side of a trail in the desert 50 miles from anywhere.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the rest of the system aluminum? The concern comes with reactions to the type of metal by the coolant. That's why different vehicles take different types...well one of the reasons. If you introduced AL into the system it's possible you'd have scaling/plugging/new issues to deal with. There has to be a reason that LR went with plastic...and it wasn't designed to fail IMO

My understanding, it’s an aluminum block...hence the orange/red coolant. Weak point designed using plastic (in favor of a lighter engine)... My presumption is using aluminum would not change any of the properties of the engine or coolant, as long as its to spec. It’s similar to using an aftermarket water pump (good or bad) with an aluminum impeller versus a plastic. Additionally, I’m almost 100% positive the LR4 (and almost every other car out there) has an aluminum radiator.

Last edited:

Parker Freeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A highly-regarded independent LR shop here in Denver quoted me around $550 for a new crossover pipe installed doesn't seem like that's too much? I have a 2013 LR4 with 92,000 miles.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV