Crossover Pipe - Replace Pre-Emptively?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will look into it and report back

Hmmm.

I know absolutely nothing about 3d printing or manufacturing, but a quick google looks like there are multiple places that could run a few of these off.

Looks like first step would be to get the part scanned is one of the file types they use with the following seemingly common.

File Formats
  • Stereolithography.stl
  • IGES.igs
  • STEP.stp
  • SolidWorks.sldprt
  • ParaSolid.x_t and .x_b
Anybody know anything about part scanning???

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the LR3 use plastic? If not, maybe you can use that part...?

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would caution that this may not be as simple as it seems. Assuming you get a high-fidelity 3D scan, you would still want to massage the 3D model so that the connection geometries are accurate. That's easy enough to do.

But printing that much aluminum could get pricey. Even then, there might need to be some secondary operations to get the mating surface finishes to spec (maybe not a big deal). Are there any threads or threaded inserts pressed in? That would have to be addressed as well.

It might be cheaper even with a relatively small run (a couple of dozen?) to cast the part.

If someone can get a 3D file of it, I can look at it.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would caution that this may not be as simple as it seems. Assuming you get a high-fidelity 3D scan, you would still want to massage the 3D model so that the connection geometries are accurate. That's easy enough to do.

But printing that much aluminum could get pricey. Even then, there might need to be some secondary operations to get the mating surface finishes to spec (maybe not a big deal). Are there any threads or threaded inserts pressed in? That would have to be addressed as well.

It might be cheaper even with a relatively small run (a couple of dozen?) to cast the part.

If someone can get a 3D file of it, I can look at it.

Yeah, just thinking about it. I know that markedforged has a metal printer as I looked into doing car parts for Range Rover classics a couple of years ago as parts became scarce. It proved to be expensive. Hoping cost has come down or that Jay Leno will let me borrow his ;-).

I’d definitely do a cast part at cost if there is enough demand. I have a contact in China that does good quality parts. I manufactured a small run (100) of fj40 ashtrays last year as the margin was there...

As far as the design, it’s straightforward. No threads, just two o-rings, a couple screw holes and two spots for the hoses to clamp.

If anyone has capability to do the cad work, I can get quotes on manufacture. For the first ones to commit, I’d gladly do at cost plus setup fees of casting.

For the casting, it’d be easy to 3D print the part in plastic to verify fit and make sure it hold pressure first, before doing metal casting.

To the OP, my apologies for totally threadjacking.

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the basic estimating on casting and producing this as metal last year. Unless you can get about 750 preorders it's not worth it.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the basic estimating on casting and producing this as metal last year. Unless you can get about 750 preorders it's not worth it.

Wonder what AB or Luck8's run rate is on these.

Wonder if they would stock them after forum demand is satisfied. Something along those lines might be an option to get to that kind of quantity.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72