DIY Oil Change for LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Magnesium is part of the oil's additive package, similar to zinc, phosphorus, and moly. Mobil-1 has much lower calcium and higher magnesium. Nothing to worry about here.

You want to monitor wear metals, and if using extended drain intervals, TBN.

Awesome info. Thanks!

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since it seems like there are some new forum members who likely want to know about oil, here's the collective knowledge in this thread

This is an accurate and comprehensive recap, thanks. I like to revisit and brush up on nerdy oil stuff periodically, such as every time someone asks about it here. :D

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read the reviews. With no mesh around the element like OE, I'd be a little nervous.

94speedster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every single chance I get. I'm a 48 year old hoon. My teen daughters laugh their asses off at their old man skiing park

View attachment 11579

And P-car corner at Casa de Avslash. The 997TT has been visited by the Champion Motorsports fairy with 68mm turbos, intercoolers, etc. It hits boost like a modified 951 used to. Smash the throttle, look over and smile at your passenger, count to two, and wait for their look of stark terror.

View attachment 11580

Gorgeous! My apologies for taking 4 MONTHS to respond to your post, but I just saw it today...

Love the 993 Cab and the 997TT is a such a beast (and IMHO, under appreciated to date by the P-Car community). Those are two beautiful cars!!!

And regarding skiing, I am 47 and still feel like an 18 year old... Love to ski really fast on long fat boards. Too much fun!

Kuro50

Reaction score
After much debate I’ve finally decided on moving forward with doing my own oil change on my LR4 it’s a 2013 with approximately 42k miles. This will be my first DIY oil change. I’m nervous and excited!

I’ve lurked through the oil forums for hours (too many hours) and I’ve boiled it down to 3 choices based on my limited knowledge and “Best Better Good” approach

• AMSOIL Signature Series 5W-20
• Mobile 1 EP 5W-20
• Kirkland Signature 5W-20

As an oil and LR4 Newb I would love to hear your thoughts or experiences with these oils. Open to other suggestions

...Also is it worth looking at other oil filter options outside of the OEM offering?

Thanks ahead!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mahle and OEM are the same oil filter. On Amazon, whichever is cheaper alternates.

So long as you change your own oil every 6k miles, Mobil 1 is probably just fine.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget to decide if you are vacuuming out via Topsider, or draining from below. If draining, be prepared for a holy mess. The last time, I tried using a 1-inch PCV pipe elbow which I slipped over the hole as I pulled the drain plug away. Believe it or not, this reduce the mess 80%+... will try it again next time also.

OE (Genuine JLR) or OEM filter is preferred, I'd avoid non-OEM but that's just me. Any of the oils listed will be fine if you are changing at 5-7kmi. If you want to change at 10k+ intervals then you should be more picky about the specific oil.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA