DIY Oil Change for LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I had a dealer change at 75k and I am changing at 85k but for all the pumping I did I couldn't get anymore out of it. The readout says full though but I don't know what "Not Available " means. Sort of confusing

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Not available means it can’t get a readout. Did you just run it? Usually takes about 5-10 minutes of sitting after shutoff to register.

Also, that’s reading “low”. The grey bar moves up when it’s full. Should be grey up to the top of the gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of my biggest pet peeves in the LR4 is the oil readout. It's so finicky. Can't be be cold. Can't be too hot. Can't be on an incline. Engine must be off. ***?!

gap tool does give a calculated live value in the sump which is helpful...

94speedster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello LR4 crew! I'm the thread starter, and am excited to announce that our LR4 has just passed 228,000 miles on the odometer!

I have kept a detailed list of my fixes & our spend on this car since new (May 2011), and to date I have used the MityVac for 26 oil changes! With a DIY savings of $90 per change, that's $2,340 in saving over the life of the car.... (I'll take it)

In terms of usefulness, the LR4 is starting to feel a bit old and we now utilize it as a 3rd car... (Our other two cars are a diesel Range Rover and a fabulous Discovery Sport, so we still love out Rovers! Best snow cars ever!)

FWIW, the total annual cost of ownership (including purchase price) has averaged @$8,500 per year. We have spent $27k over the lifetime of the car on out of warranty break/fix, tires, and brakes. Living in a ski town, TIRES are the expensive consumable and we spend @$1k per year on fresh snow tires, and probably only get 50% of tread use out of them each winter before recycling. Why? Tread depth in unplowed snow matters - and with a 9 month snow "season", I am comfortable buying new each year. We run the Blizzak DM-V2XL (255/50R20), and I buy them from Tire Rack... amazing snow tire for ALL Rovers.

All in all, we have loved our 2011 "Metropolis Edition" LR4 and are completely hooked on the brand!

Enjoy!
-Blake
Park City, UT

Last edited:

94speedster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
upload_2020-9-11_15-41-49.jpeg

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice! Those are great looking cars. I need to get a 964 at some point. As I'm sure you're aware, the air cooled cars pricing is just nuts at this point. I kick myself for not buying a a 993TT at $60K when I had the chance.

I still think of the 964's as the last of the "real" 911's that would at least try to **** you if you lift at the wrong time.

Enjoy.

94speedster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed 100%... Do you ski? Those Porsches (up through 964, and even 993) remind me of the 1980s & 1990s Volkl race skis.... Ski them well, and they are EPIC. Get lazy for a second, and you are flat on your ass. Good fun!

The car next to it is a 996 GT3. Now that car is a raw "throw back" 911...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72