DIY Oil Change for LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Carefully measured 8L of oil out and put it in. Meter is still at the very top mark, just as you'd expect. I looked over the IID tool and on this forum for ways to calibrate the meter, but can't seem to find anything that would enable that. Am I wrong about the midpoint of that oil fill meter being the right target? Or is there a way to calibrate it? Or is 8L actually overfilling it somehow because there was something left somewhere else in the engine that didn't come out?

The meter calibration is described in the factory manual, and is not done through the IID tool. The steps should be buried somewhere in this thread, or look it up in the service manual (not the owner's manual).

8L out and 8L in is great. I usually end up draining 0.5-1.0 quart less than I put in; indicating mild consumption.

I'm not sure if the meter shows full (top level) or middle level after calibrating. I've gotten mixed results and don't trust the stupid electronic meter.

BTW, remember to change every 5-7kmi with normal service, ignore the comical 15k interval in the owner's manual.

:cool:

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, @gsxr . The copy of the Service Manual I have isn't crystal clear:

10. Press the right-hand OK button and follow the instructions. (er...what instructions?)

11. Press the cruise control cancel button twice within 2 seconds. (Did that...doesn't seem to accomplish anything?)

12. The message center display will revert to the normal display in the trip computer.
Press the right-hand OK button and follow the instructions.
Check that the oil level display shows an oil level reading.
Take a reading from the level display and, if necessary, top up with oil as instructed. (Well, it's only showing the same oil level as before, so...maybe I just have to assume that the top mark actually IS the target?)

Hence my line of questioning. I should have had the presence of mind to check the meter after or as it was draining, to make sure the sender is actually working.

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First I'll admit I didn't know one could calibrate the electronic meter. However, in the Rovers I've owned, the top is "Full", and the mid-point is short.

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Top is full, ie the level you fill the engine to in order to have a full charge of oil present.

But, the top is only full if the level indicator is correctly calibrated, this is what the manual is describing.

When it says follow the instructions it means wait for the level to become available, I think there is a 10 minute delay in stopping the engine and the level being "visible"

If when the level display becomes "available" ie, showing a reading, it indicates overfilled, then there is too much in the sump and you need to suck some out. Again this is assuming that the level indicator is correctly calibrated.

Min to max on the indicator is on this thread earlier somewhere.

If however you are certain that you filled the correct amount, this is when you calibrate the gauge as described.

Hope this helps,

If you're still unsure pm me and I'll walk you through it.

Stu.

PS. a dipstick would totally bypass all of this, but you still need the owner to wait for the oil to drain back to the sump, hence the programmed delay in last engine run and level reading.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, @gsxr . The copy of the Service Manual I have isn't crystal clear:

10. Press the right-hand OK button and follow the instructions. (er...what instructions?)

11. Press the cruise control cancel button twice within 2 seconds. (Did that...doesn't seem to accomplish anything?)

12. The message center display will revert to the normal display in the trip computer.
Press the right-hand OK button and follow the instructions.
Check that the oil level display shows an oil level reading.
Take a reading from the level display and, if necessary, top up with oil as instructed. (Well, it's only showing the same oil level as before, so...maybe I just have to assume that the top mark actually IS the target?)

Hence my line of questioning. I should have had the presence of mind to check the meter after or as it was draining, to make sure the sender is actually working.
It is NOT clear at all. Make sure to read all the way to the end of the procedure... snippet below from the V8 manual, steps 18 through 25.

The SCV6 manual doesn't seem to mention this... I'm not sure if it applies to 2014-2016 models or not. :oops:

upload_2021-5-24_11-2-15.png
:

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed my oil yesterday at the usual 5K interval (85K odo FWIW). I took out just over 8 qts. I usually put 8.5 qts back in and it always pegs the digital gauge at Max. This time I only put in 8 qts before checking the level and the digital gauge indicated Max. I just went out to check again and it's still at Max. Unsure if I should add another 1/2 qt or let it ride. Since 8 qts is less than 8L I think I will. This is silly.

But I still love this thing and all its stupid quirks.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unsure if I should add another 1/2 qt or let it ride. Since 8 qts is less than 8L I think I will.
FWIW, I always refill with 8 quarts (2 gallons) out of convenience. I'm not sure if the 8L spec puts the level at midpoint allowed, or is a true "maximum". I'm used to Mercedes engines where the fill spec puts the level at the midpoint on the dipstick, halfway between MIN and MAX. MB has issued bulletins clarifying that the midpoint is the proper/desirable level, and MAX is just what it sounds like. Very logical, IMO.

This is silly.
Completely. It's like the JLR engineers came up with this during a Friday night party at the office back in 2009, with much alcohol involved.

But I still love this thing and all its stupid quirks.
Yep. There still isn't an equivalent replacement IMO, and if there was, the price would likely be outrageous. If anything happened to ours, we'd be shopping for another LR4 with V8.

:burnout:

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I always refill with 8 quarts (2 gallons) out of convenience.

That'll be my plan moving forward. I've always bought odd numbers of quarts at the dealership to make sure I have that 1/2 qt extra and a backup. Now it's time for the KISS method: 8 qts every 5K.

Re that JLR engineer throwdown, I can hear the boss saying "Let's test how far this brand loyalty thing goes, who's got some ideas?" One guy pipes up "Let's delete the dipstick and make them press a bunch of buttons on the wheel!" Guffaws all around the table. Boss: "Simpkins, that's BRILLIANT, innit?? Make it happen-- BAHAHAHA!"

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA