DIY Oil Change for LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So for those that are interested in which way is the better way to get the most oil out, either via the evacuation tube or from the sump drain plug, here's some food for thought, time or convenience, or how about both...

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So for those that are interested in which way is the better way to get the most oil out, either via the evacuation tube or from the sump drain plug, here's some food for thought, time or convenience, or how about both...

I noticed that you simply pushed the “*****” suction tube down on the tube under the oil fill cap. I have always used one of the rubber couplers that came with my Mityvac. It fits perfectly over that tube. Is one of us doing it wrong, or are both of us doing it right?

PS: Thanks for the video. I for one was surprised at how efficient the top evacuation method has been for me all these years. I expected at least a few ounces to drain from the sump.

Last edited:

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If both ways work :) then why not. It was the first way I tried and thought this will do nicely.

I was shocked about how little was left. I was expecting about a cupful myself.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good work with this vid. The suction tube pickup must be in the sump below the bottom edge of the drain plug. I have been doing the evac method for 10 years now on my 2010.

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at the structure of the bottom of the sump pan you must be right, but it’s only just under the drain plug ***********. There’s not much meat on it down there to be otherwise.

It’s a result for the easy way finally with a Land Rover.

callin

Reaction score
on my third oil change, still looking good according to Blackstone

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-08 093440.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-08 093440.png
    157.2 KB · Views: 52

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on my third oil change, still looking good according to Blackstone
@callin , check out some other UOA's in the thread linked below. My latest is in post #46.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut