Engine revs high upon start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright folks! So here’s a stumper. Had the passenger side valve cover replaced and picked up the truck last week. It was running great. Then proceeded to get a p2118-19 code. Restricted performance and the works. Dirty throttle body.

Assumed it was due to running lean for about 100 miles before I could get it in for service. Cleaned throttle body and code disappears. Then two days later, get a map sensor code (no throttle body code). Clear that, clean tb again, assuming I didn’t do a sufficient job the first time. Notice some oil buildup on the inside of the throttle body. Clean it again. Runs well.

A day later same thing...open up, oil again on inside of the tb. clean and run it- all runs smoothly.

I’ve got an email out to my independent, but at this point, I’m suspecting the repair was not done correctly.

Anyone on here know what could be the cause? I know for emissions, the oil vapors get fed back into the intake- just a bit confused as to what could be a possible cause?

If anyone is curious...after a frustrating couple of days, I solved the issue. The initial dirty tb must have tricked the computer values and the frequent restricted performance messages were sporadic and unpredictable. I did multiple “clear adaptations” to no avail. Then after cleaning the throttle body for the 5th time...I started wondering if the computer had not reset. Went into gap tool and hard reset the vehicle...heard the throttle body flap move with the engine off and bam, problem solved. I now have a very clean tb and a happy rig.

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to hear your problem (not mentally) has been solved as well the frustration level finally reduced. Too much computer controlled garbage and another example why I like and own a OB1 LR.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to hear your problem (not mentally) has been solved as well the frustration level finally reduced. Too much computer controlled garbage and another example why I like and own a OB1 LR.
Lol. Yep...my classics were all much more simple- but the LR4 is worth the extra trouble. This is by far my favorite LR I’ve ever owned.

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol. Yep...my classics were all much more simple- but the LR4 is worth the extra trouble. This is by far my favorite LR I’ve ever owned.

If it works for you go for it, everyone has different tastes. I have opinions i'm into durable proven mechanically sound not just looks and image. After replacing a pair of heads helping a friend's LR4 it confirmed my decisions never owning a LR3 or 4. Never considered owning one the day they appeared at LR dealerships. For that matter never going to work on one again no matter the friend. Body style alone a turnoff, they look like every other brand of vehicle on the road, just change the name tags with added expensive maintenance problems LR's provide. I'll take trouble free solid axles maintaining perfect alignment 150K miles and counting any day vs those independent suspensions LR3's and 4's have. Ride quality not a problem. Even spinning and smacking a curb on black ice really hard not a problem, alignment still in spec after checking over a friends 96 D1 spin out stunt.

I always followed the aluminum 215 Olds/ Buick going back in the 60's with hot rod friends which later became LR's engine. The 95 D1 with 5 speed clinched the purchase. The 215 also fits nicely into a 62 P1800 Volvo coupe a 1971 project build.

Ford's Twin-I-Beam as example from the 60's thru 1972 era with forged beams are trouble free. Sold the 69 at 922K miles, one time only bushings replacement to poly. Engine mods to the old push rod 4.6 engines making them bullet proof are what my group of friends own. I don't care if an engine were made in Russia or by Eskimos if it has quality and proven durability built into it. End of novel. .....~~=o&o>.....

Last edited:

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it works for you go for it, everyone has different tastes. I have opinions i'm into durable proven mechanically sound not just looks and image. After replacing a pair of heads helping a friend's LR4 it confirmed my decisions never owning a LR3 or 4. Never considered owning one the day they appeared at LR dealerships. For that matter never going to work on one again no matter the friend. Body style alone a turnoff, they look like every other brand of vehicle on the road, just change the name tags with added expensive maintenance problems LR's provide. I'll take trouble free solid axles maintaining perfect alignment 150K miles and counting any day vs those independent suspensions LR3's and 4's have. Ride quality not a problem. Even spinning and smacking a curb on black ice really hard not a problem, alignment still in spec after checking over a friends 96 D1 spin out stunt.

Ford's Twin-I-Beam as example from the 60's thru 1972 era with forged beams are trouble free. Sold the 69 at 922K miles, one time only bushing swap to poly. Engine mods to the old push rod 4.6 engines making them bullet proof are what my group of friends own. I don't care if an engine were made in Russia if it has quality and durability built into it. End of novel. .....~~=o&o>.....

Glad you’re happy with your decision. This is a LR4 thread so no need to troll or throw shade on our decision to own one. I’ve owned 12 land rovers. Mostly classics and one p38. I’ll never dump on anyone’s decision to own what they own.

I’ve never regretted owning any of my LRs. They’ve all been great and quirky all at the same time- for me, that’s what makes the ownership experience a good one. The satisfaction of being able to figure out problems, wrench, and be part of a community of owners is what I want. If I wanted something predictable, less challenging, and ordinary, I’d own a Toyota or a Jeep...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you’re happy with your decision. This is a LR4 thread so no need to troll or throw shade on our decision to own one. I’ve owned 12 land rovers. Mostly classics and one p38. I’ll never dump on anyone’s decision to own what they own. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So true about decisions Scott. Accusing me being a "troll" I find insulting Scott.

Evaluation of machinery is my aviation license background. Working with Allison turbo prop engineers for C130 birds as well 2800 Pratt & Whitney radial engine failure investigations involving dissecting massive failures. Be it military birds no biggie, civilian birds with added FAA investigators looking over our shoulders. Parts failures one thing, bad design requiring AD notes requiring improvements is another working with engineers.

Speaking of improvements the 4.6 in the 95 D1 has had several flaws requiring modifications making it a solid bullet proof engine that can be hammered on within reason respecting machinery vs the factories cutting corners engineering flaws vs installing higher quality parts in the first place. Oil leaks, modern day sealants got that British issue solved.

This is why i'm critical by nature with anything mechanical, enjoying machining one off parts improving on the push rod engine.

Yes i'm on the LR4 vs older D1 forums still exploring their weaknesses and problems helping a friend's LR4 staying on the road. Advice yes, labor no these days as he also found out more than he ever wanted to know about his LR4.

Again your "TROLL" remark requires an apology from you if your man enough. I'll keep silent just lurking on this LR$ forum, nothing to add unless it's to an advantage helping my friends LR4. PROST.....~~=o&o>......

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So true about decisions Scott. Accusing me being a "troll" I find insulting Scott.

Evaluation of machinery is my aviation license background. Working with Allison turbo prop engineers for C130 birds as well 2800 Pratt & Whitney radial engine failure investigations involving dissecting massive failures. Be it military birds no biggie, civilian birds with added FAA investigators looking over our shoulders. Parts failures one thing, bad design requiring AD notes requiring improvements is another working with engineers.

Speaking of improvements the 4.6 in the 95 D1 has had several flaws requiring modifications making it a solid bullet proof engine that can be hammered on within reason respecting machinery vs the factories cutting corners engineering flaws vs installing higher quality parts in the first place. Oil leaks, modern day sealants got that British issue solved.

This is why i'm critical by nature with anything mechanical, enjoying machining one off parts improving on the push rod engine.

Yes i'm on the LR4 vs older D1 forums still exploring their weaknesses and problems helping a friend's LR4 staying on the road. Advice yes, labor no these days as he also found out more than he ever wanted to know about his LR4.

Again your "TROLL" remark requires an apology from you if your man enough. I'll keep silent just lurking on this LR$ forum, nothing to add unless it's to an advantage helping my friends LR4. PROST.....~~=o&o>......

Not sorry at all. Being critical of a decision to own a lr4 and calling them ugly adds nothing to the conversation. It’s you who owe the apology.

I’ve seen you on here before show your a$$ and didn’t say anything then. I don’t care how much experience you have. It doesn’t give you the right to come on here and insult us. That by very definition is a “troll”.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
**** OFF SCOTTIE!
Lol. Next time you come on here please either contribute constructively or just don’t contribute. Clearly you’re an accomplished mechanic from whom we could all benefit, but again trolling or throwing shade will only make for conflict which none of us are looking for on here.

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good morning Scottie. Different body styles as my opinion is just that, an opinion by me and should they tickle your fancy so be it and go for it.

In regards to added contributions to the LR3 & 4 forum I already have designed and drawn up plans for making the front crossover pipe out of aluminum. Machining with lathe, milling machine as well Tig welding the parts together can be done by my personal equipment in my shop. Haven't started on the rear crossover I haven't received a failed rear like the front example. This just another challenge to me like the 95 D1 purchase back in 1-2000. Took 5 years to locate a 95 with 5 spd as less than 2% sold in the USA (94, 95, yuck 96 OB2) now in 5 door. Really wanted a 87 D1 in 3 door like I saw in Toronto Canada after a joy ride from Calif. allowing me seat time flying. Too big of a hassle bring one into Calif. ended that idea. Sure they had several faults in 95 all corrected except the ABS control which was a death trap feature, remove fuse no problem.

As my Top Fuel dragster owner and friend told me, 'yup you got that right a challenge with that 95 LR purchase". He knew I wouldn't leave it alone until it was modified to my planned expectations. Valve guides OEM were crap, example upgrade. It hauls a$$ plus also corners vs up on it's lid after a demo ride years ago. ***** on that one as a passenger.

BTW i'll still proceed with this cross over piping project when I have "extra time" project number 1,383 on things to fab, repair and do list as I like challenges especially showing improvement results. Already made a custom slide hammer for removing LR4 injectors, have a HP pump "borrowed" from the aviation field for a flushing, testing spray patterns, flow volume matching injector sets project build. Already built a tester for the LP Bosch injectors years ago.

With that project I was accused of "PLAPLAGIARISM" after posting pictures of the injector cleaner a flow pattern and balance checking project resulting in 8 injectors flowing within 0.0075% (.75%). Bosch 4 hole sure beat Lucas single hole 80's design dribble injectors. I also milled out an intake extension 1 1/2" tick aluminum allowing a lot lower rpm pulling ability without hindering top end rpm's of the rev limiter at 5,900 rpm's.

HE WHO MAKES NO MISTAKES DOES NOTHING.

I still can't leave my friend stranded with is LR4 hence the aluminum crossover pipes project challenge for his LR4 but not on open forum the machining, Tig welding with finished product photos process.

Thanks Scottie you made my decision avoiding the process of photos then postings of this LR4 crossover project. All LR4 replies gone silent. .....~~=o&o>......

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72