Has anyone here supercharged or turbocharged their LR4?

Discussion in 'LR4' started by Socialseb83, Nov 28, 2019.

1. avslash

avslash Full Access Member

We have a sport mode???? I'm not being facetious. If it is there, I genuinely don't remember it. I'll be heading out to the garage to look when I get home. I must be getting old, lol.

Wonder if it might help to somewhat mask the sub-optimal gearing from running tires 4-5 inches larger than the factory intended.

2. gsxr

gsxr Full Access Member

Yeah, there is a Sport mode! Slide the shift lever sideways. It mostly monkeys with shift RPM's.

:confused:

3. Quijote

Quijote Full Access Member

Correct.

I find the default programming to be adequately lazy and chill. But the rpms basically live at 2,000 rpm or less. The sport setting holds gears longer allowing you to more easily access more of the power. My beef is that it's a little on the neurotic side. I don't need the LR4 to go all the way to 4-5krpm. I call it getaway car mode.

The particularly annoying thing is that you can't access manual mode without first going through sport mode - which again, is a little crazy. So say I see a hill coming up and wan tot hold the current gear (say it's 4th). In all likely hood the car will go crazy when I shift to sport mode and shift to 3rd or even 2nd before I up-shift to 4th manually. It's annoying.

One time I was late to a wedding and sport mode made the LR4 positively scoot through traffic. It did feel like I was running away from a hit squad, though. I probably got 5mpg during that time, but still.

Socialseb83 and gsxr like this.
  4. ktm525

ktm525 Full Access Member

Sport mode is great for long highway descents. It provides more engine braking.

SoCal_Rob, hickersb and gsxr like this.
  5. gumbedamit

gumbedamit Member

I was speaking with a guy in my office who has RRS and we were talking about handling and he could beat me in the twisties with my 2006 R53 (Fully Upgraded) Since I live in the SE, I invited him to meet me at the Dragon and we could take it from there, don't get me wrong the RRS is a formidable beast, could definitely get me in a straight line but it's still a truck and if he wanted a car for the twisties, he should have just gotten a sports car. 375hp is more than enough for me.

6. avslash

Got to pick the correct tool for the job at hand....It is way not stock.

Pcar3.jpg

gumbedamit and gsxr like this.
  7. Quijote

Nice. Good taste. This my former car I sold a couple of years ago. ;-)

997TT-2 pic.JPG

Here is my current one since the kids outgrew the rear seats on the 997TT.

Delivery.jpg

gsxr and avslash like this.
  8. avslash

Somewhere I have a picture of all three of my girls stuffed into my 993 Cab. One in a car seat, another wedged into the back and oldest in front passenger seat.

It was not a workable configuration for very long. :)

My first P-Car, a '93 968, fell victim to the birth of my oldest. Took several years to get another one back. I still miss that car. I AutoX'd it weekly, and after I got it set up, I still think it is one of the best handling cars I have driven.

Quijote likes this.
  9. Quijote

That's too bad. I'm at the point where I might as well wait until my boys are old enough to join me for AutoX. I have a used Miata I bought when I sold the Turbo that I use as a convertible/winter beater (have snow tires on it). I hope to one day turn it into a track car. It's slow but fun as hell at legal speeds. The Turbo was stupid fast. The M3 is ~90% of the performance of the Turbo but seats 5.

avslash likes this.
  10. PWD2

PWD2 Member

For heavy suv/pickups modern turbo diesel is absolutely the way to go. Shame LR didn't bring 3.0 v6 tdi here. 30mpg and good torque.

I know i know... California emissions rules.