Heated from Windshield and tint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spizzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Think about...

The only thing you may want to think about is if you ever need the front windshield replaced, so too will you need to replace your tint. If this is not a concern for you then I highly recommend spending the extra money for 3M Crystalline. Best money I ever spent on a vehicle :)

jpjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So did we every figure out if the front clear UV would be de-lamintaed by windshield heater coils from the climate package? I live in South Florida but travel to NC and surrounding areas where there is potential to use it. I don't want tints just the clear UV blocker film.

Kaaae, did you ever join FLRC? I went to my first rally a few months ago up in Citrus Holder north of Tampa. It was a great time, can't wait for the fall rally in October. I'm willing to drive up to your area in Jupiter to meet up and wheel with you.

Rovernut, do you take your rig off road?

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I live in FL and it gets VERY hot during the summer. I was wondering if anyone has tinted their front windshield with the new UV film?

Basically im wondering if the heating element on the windshield will ruin the tint (aka melt it)

You are too funny.

Think for a moment.... yes, try it out....it's fun to think for a moment....ok, the amount of heat produced by the heating elements do not come close to a noticeable fraction of the heat the sun produces on the windows....which always get tinted on the rest of the vehicle.

You can feel this by your own hand. In summer, the inside of a window is almost too hot to hold your hand on for very long without preferring to remove your hand ;) In winter, when the heating elements are on, even for a while, it's practically unnoticeable to the touch.

Why? Well, to melt off frozen stuff, the temperature only needs to be a decent amount above freezing. It doesn't take much for things to melt. Think of the days when it's all melting but it's still cold in the air, like 40F. 40F is a long, long way from 100+ when the sun is cooking it!

In theory, putting something like the 3M crystal clear on the inside of the windshield should actually REDUCE the heat normally on the windows because the inside of the cabin will stay just a bit cooler, especially with the windows open an inch or so for ventilation.

This is a good idea but I have heard do not use ceramic versions. Also, your cost loss when replacing the glass goes up too. Too bad there isn't a nice thick material that would be easy to DIY apply and simply remove if needing to replace the glass or wanting to let that sun in during winter months.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo