High Output Alternator Needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a general search on the web for aftermarket alternators with greater amps than the factory alternator. I have a few aftermarket accessories along with 2 15's in the trunk. When the bass really hits along with the defrosters on for example, all of the truck lights dim a bit. So far so good however with the fresh AGM H8 battery i put in, but i know it's still a bit too much for the factory alternator. Can anyone recommend a higher output alternator?

I came across https://www.qualitypowerauto.com/catalog.php?item=619

There's a 240/320 Amp option. I never heard of this company, nor are there any details as to what RPM's i could get those amps and what the idle Amp is. I'm hoping someone here could shed some light on this for me. Thanks

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would definitely throw a couple of farads' worth of caps by the amp, but those are usually meant to keep the bass supplied with adequate power during heavy signal hits.. Whatever amp you are using is probably going to require some constant current, hence your inquiry..

320 is a lot of current, over twice the stock value.. I'd call those guys up and pick their brains about if that is a constant rating (I doubt it is, but it will generate the dialogue you need). Additionally, a core charge may be on the top of the price- they probably are rebuilding stock units with beefed up components..

Mike

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorting out what size amp are you running, what ohm rating your subs are running at, and how hard you plan on pushing it are all factors on how many farads you need. I assume it's a class D amp.. If you are running over 1000 watts you could easily be doubling the current draw that the truck uses by itself..

Mike

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
If you're going down the route of throwing in a few capacitors, get a secondary battery instead. I opted to use an XS Power 750 on my other cars and have better results than combining (3) 1 farad caps. That's a tiny little battery with 22Ah. Imagine you have the capacity to add a full AGM deep cycle battery in the secondary battery compartment.

Oh, I'm running a front stage DLS Nordica 6.2 Active system off of an Elegant Designs nine.4 amp and a 15" Infinite Baffle Acoustic Elegance IB15 with the Apollo upgrade on AudioQubed AQ1200 (rebranded as SoundQubed). All on 4 ohm for better sound quality. It hits and sounds clean without any lights dimming nor issues with powering up. Wiring was all 4 gauge, since it wasn't really all that powerful.

My biggest gripe about caps were powering on and sometimes it clips the amps while powering on with the surge of power.

That's just my 2 cents. Go with a bigger secondary battery instead and you won't regret it.

WuNgUn

Reaction score
I did a general search on the web for aftermarket alternators with greater amps than the factory alternator. I have a few aftermarket accessories along with 2 15's in the trunk. When the bass really hits along with the defrosters on for example, all of the truck lights dim a bit. So far so good however with the fresh AGM H8 battery i put in, but i know it's still a bit too much for the factory alternator. Can anyone recommend a higher output alternator?

I came across https://www.qualitypowerauto.com/catalog.php?item=619

There's a 240/320 Amp option. I never heard of this company, nor are there any details as to what RPM's i could get those amps and what the idle Amp is. I'm hoping someone here could shed some light on this for me. Thanks

Upgrading your factory ground cables goes a long way to preventing this...
I assume your sub amp is chassis grounded in the trunk?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72