How to Mount a 245 x 75 - 16 on factory spare tire carrier

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cal

Reaction score
I remember running across a thread that discussed the things to do to mount an oversize spare tire on the factory D2 carrier . . . but now I can't locate it! I vaguely remember something about inverting the stock carrier . . . or something like that.

Does anyone know where I can find this info, and what are other options besides inside the truck or roof-mounted?

I just had 4 245's mounted on the truck and really like the difference from the stock 255 x 65 - 16's. The 245's look better suited to the truck, and once I install taller shocks and springs I think I'll like them even more. They do rub at the end of the steering wheel rotation, but nothing serious.

I'd appreciate any assistance you may provide.

Thanx in advance,
Cal

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
For a 245/75/16 you shouldn't have to do anything to mount it.

Cal

Reaction score
For a 245/75/16 you shouldn't have to do anything to mount it.

Well, it won't fit. It won't go on with the tailgate closed, and the tailgate won't close with the tire hung on the carrier.

What's up with that!?!?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They always fit and in your case, if it doesn't then possibly your carrier is bent from backing into something.
It can be removed and inverted to handle your spare though.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Or the bumper is bent.

Cal

Reaction score
Problem Solved . . .

I bought the panel popper tool and removed the tailgate interior panel (still destroyed several of those damned plastic fasteners). Unbol;ted the carrier, flipped it over and discovered that the center bolt holes no longer lined up. Re-drilled these holes and bolted it all up. Seems to work fine.

Suggestion for anyone thinking of doing this . . . rather than drill the new holes into the body panel like I did; use the support bars to mark and drill new holes in the carrier instead! I was pressed for time, and did not want to disassemble the whole thing, so I drilled the bady panel . . . probably not one of my best decisions! But it appears to be solid enough.

Cal

PS: Neither the bumper, nor the carrier are bent. The 245 x 75 x 16 is just about 1/2" too big to fit!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635