Living up to its unreliable history

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(I got a LC). Also, buying new has it’s financial disadvantages but it does have its advantages when dealing with issues under warranty and having a good knowledge of vehicle history, service and maintenance.

Buying new is nothing but a financial disadvantage. How many repairs could be made on any vehicle for a years worth of payments on a new $80k+ vehicle?

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buying new is nothing but a financial disadvantage. How many repairs could be made on any vehicle for a years worth of payments on a new $80k+ vehicle?

Where do you get 80k+?

I bought a pretty well-loaded HSE LUX for 60k (plus tax) in 2013. Not saying that is cheap, but you can't jack up the price by 30-35% either.

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The vehicle as 80k miles. It’s a 2013. I’ve owned it less than two months.
So everyone here is in agreement that leaking transmission, bad air sensors, and throttle dust and trim falling off are due to the previous owner?
The trim falling off may be a cheap new clip fix, but not no big deal when you’re doing 70 mph on the highway in pouring rain and late for an appointment.
Btw, I never had any of these issues on the following cars: Acura, Mercedes, Lexus, Toyota.

Any time you buy ANY used vehicle you run the risk of buying someone else’s headache. So you’ve had better luck on other cars, good for you. What did you expect a LR enthusiast forum to say when you come right out and bash the brand we (most of us) love? People are trying to talk you off the cliff by saying yes, you have a few issues, but none of them are all that serious. Yes, the trim flying off probably scared the crap out of you, but a half-assed windshield replacement hardly speaks to LR reliability!

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do you get 80k+?

I bought a pretty well-loaded HSE LUX for 60k (plus tax) in 2013. Not saying that is cheap, but you can't jack up the price by 30-35% either.

Talking about the land cruiser he bought.

Get the Land Cruiser... You will not regret it. I’m just on my second day of ownership but it is amazing. It is more money than the Discovery ($87K) but it is very nice and arguably the most capable/reliable SUV out there.

Last edited:

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talking about the land cruiser he bought.

Ah! Sorry. Yeah, that's freakin' expensive.

I actually felt (at least back in 2013) the LR4 was quite the value buy compared to German SUV's and even some domestic (Acadia Denali, Diesel JGC Overland, etc).

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do you get 80k+?

I paid $56K back in 2013 for a special order LR4. Back then that included the traction control system, pneumatic suspension and low ratio transfer case with the blocker and full size spare, which is what I want/need. When I built something similar last month, the new Disco came up to $75K.

My Land Cruiser was $87K

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah! Sorry. Yeah, that's freakin' expensive.

I actually felt (at least back in 2013) the LR4 was quite the value buy compared to German SUV's and even some domestic (Acadia Denali, Diesel JGC Overland, etc).

Back in 2013 I couldn’t find anything that met the specs of the LR4 and came in under $60K. I wasn’t even looking at the Land Cruiser back then. We had just moved from Panama to the U.S. and sold our Diesel Discovery 4. We wanted nothing else but a new LR4, ideally the Diesel version but that wasn’t available back then.

Like I said, if LR ever starts making something like the LR4 again, we will be back and buy new.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then again, I got $32K on trade-in for our LR4, after 5 years, 65K miles and a purchase price of $56K. I can’t complain on resale value either.

Having said that, the Land tiver dealer only offered me $20K on trade for the new Disco.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't complain about the LR4 resale. I have a low-mile last year of the V8 with the HD pkg and LUX, so that probably helps, but I feel if I had to sell, I'd get a decent amount for it for having owned it 5 years.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't complain about the LR4 resale. I have a low-mile last year of the V8 with the HD pkg and LUX, so that probably helps, but I feel if I had to sell, I'd get a decent amount for it for having owned it 5 years.
That is exactly my point. I got one of the last HSE V8s (non lux) built exactly like we wanted it. We used it 5 years and put 65k worry-free miles on it. I towed our camper, carried my dirt bike on a hitch carrier, drove on snow, mud, sand and everything in between. I never did anything to it other than replace tires, brakes, battery and wipers. After all this, I still got $32K off MSRP on the Land Crusier for trading it in. That was $24K in depreciation, which I think was really good. Even assuming they would have reduced the LC from $87K to $80K, that still is $25K for my LR4.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72