Living up to its unreliable history

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to some of the actual buyers in some of the Toyota forums, the Land Cruisers routinely sell new in the mid/upper 70's, despite the MSRP. I have not attempted to buy one, so I can't say for sure if this is accurate or not...

Black book shows your LR4 to be worth about 25k on trade-in. Of course, getting out of it before doing the repairs you mentioned saved a bunch too, so overall seems like a fair deal.

I have been looking at the Land Cruisers as well, but keep hoping they will bring us the updated Land Cruiser (Prado) with fold flat reat seats that went on sale last year everywhere else in the world.

Last edited:

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a Prado, but it is far from a Land Cruiser. Not sure why they dont sell it in the U.S. but it would probably sell well at the reduced price.

The LR4 was valued at $20K on trade-in for a new Disco priced at $75K by Land Rover Fairfield. The Toyota dealer had offered me $25K for my LR4 on trade-in for a Land Cruiser they had in stock, priced at $86K. I offered my LR4 and $55K cash to the Toyota dealer for a Land Cruiser priced at $87K that they didn't have in stock but had to go get from a dealer in PA (220 miles).

Now this is in my garage:

38242735_10155459913016993_4727140885442068480_n.jpg

BrandonM7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then again, I got $32K on trade-in for our LR4, after 5 years, 65K miles and a purchase price of $56K. I can’t complain on resale value either.

Having said that, the Land tiver dealer only offered me $20K on trade for the new Disco.

You got a good discount on your new Land Cruiser. Your LR4 didn't go up $12k in trade value between the lr dealer and the Toyota dealer. They sell for 22-24k all day long. That isn't a testament to the lr4 resale value.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You got a good discount on your new Land Cruiser. Your LR4 didn't go up $12k in trade value between the lr dealer and the Toyota dealer. They sell for 22-24k all day long. That isn't a testament to the lr4 resale value.

Don’t know about testaments. Just stating the facts: I checked the invoice and it states $25K for the LR4 and $80K for the LC.

My point is in the five years I owned our LR4 and through 65K miles I had a great ownership experience, no problems with reliability and then got a good value on trade-in.

I didn’t want to keep it any longer (I don’t keep cars long) and in all honesty it was starting to ask for expensive maintenance repairs and another set of tires and brakes. Had the LR4 still been in production I would have gotten a new one, again.

Bullneck

Reaction score
The word unreliable lends itself to "mechanical breakdown" and honestly, most LR3/LR4's never let their owners sit. But, things do wear (such as suspension bushings, tie-rods, tires and brakes wear more quickly due to the overall weight). If you are going to keep it for a number of years, just plan on $2500 a year as an overall average cost of maintenance on these trucks. One year, nothing but an oil change, the next its tires, brakes, control arms, etc all at once!!

This is pretty much my advice as well (in bold). I've had 2 reoccurring issues with my LR4:

- the gas gauge is not very reliable under 1/8th of a tank. I've run out of gas three times with the dash telling me I have between 7-10 miles left.

- I'm on my third or fourth water pump. Not sure why that's such a problem.

160,000 miles later I really love it. My wife asks if I would rather drive her two year old Grand Cherokee. "No thanks."

BrandonM7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a Prado, but it is far from a Land Cruiser. Not sure why they dont sell it in the U.S. but it would probably sell well at the reduced price.

The LR4 was valued at $20K on trade-in for a new Disco priced at $75K by Land Rover Fairfield. The Toyota dealer had offered me $25K for my LR4 on trade-in for a Land Cruiser they had in stock, priced at $86K. I offered my LR4 and $55K cash to the Toyota dealer for a Land Cruiser priced at $87K that they didn't have in stock but had to go get from a dealer in PA (220 miles).

Now this is in my garage:

38242735_10155459913016993_4727140885442068480_n.jpg

That's really nice. What color interior?

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All black interior. Another plus for the LC was the shifter in the center console. I hate the knob shifters like The one LR put on the new vehicles.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All black interior. Another plus for the LC was the shifter in the center console. I hate the knob shifters like The one LR put on the new vehicles.

Ugh. Yeah. That would drive me nuts. Another reason I'm glad I ordered a 2013.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still don’t understand why any designer at Land Rover would think it was a good idea to replace this
2016_land_rover_lr4_angularfront.jpg

03.jpg

With this
c4d9240993b2dbe77917a238b42f569b.jpg

TtBLv3hih41WYMD5pCfSiKC5pK3KqHZJFIxymDL-mWyoCqHJRQ.jpg

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gerry McGovern.

He had some hits (at least sales-wise) at the outset of his leadership at LR, but it's becoming more clear he's a one-trick pony. Aside from the ugly evolution of the LR4, all the vehicles under his leadership are starting to look the same. I can't see how that would be good for business.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99