Living up to its unreliable history

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never got my LR4 to sell it after 4-5 years, otherwise I would not have bought it. I sincerely expect to keep it indefinitely. It will have very few miles, so I can see having it for 20 years.

But even if it is "just" 10 years, I bet it would be worth a decent amount as a late model, fully-spec'd, low mileage V8 LR4.

Quijote: If you choose to sell your truck after 10 years, I will be there to buy it. I imagine that the interior stills smells new, you are a lucky man..

Mike

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...you said you got 32k a few posts back, and were even condescending to me when I suggested that you got a discount on the LC rather than receiving more in trade value than it was actually worth...

OK. You win.

Last edited:

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To the OP’s point, I don’t think they’re unreliable but my experience was different than his: I buy new and don’t keep them long. When I got rid of it, I got a good trade-in value, despite it being in an accident (got rear ended, causing damage worth $6K) and not having cold weather package, in CT.

Buying used, old, high mileage LR4s is a gamble. Keeping old, high mileage LR4s bought new, is a calculated risk based on years of ownership experience and knowledge of the specific vehicle.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quijote: If you choose to sell your truck after 10 years, I will be there to buy it. I imagine that the interior stills smells new, you are a lucky man..

Mike

lol It really is in great shape. I even bought the LR OEM rear seat factory covers (so the kids wouldn't ruin the leather). Which are awesome, water-proof, etc. So the rear seats literally look like the day they left the factory. I am amazed that there are no scratched and virtually no stone chips after 5 years.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am amazed that there are no scratched and virtually no stone chips after 5 years.

I just had a conversation about paint quality with my brother as my LR4 and his Traverse were parked together. Both have around 85K miles and the paint on the leading edge of the hood of his wife's Traverse is badly chipped away, to the point of needing repainting. The service manager at the Chevy dealer told him that metallic paint is more prone to chipping and he just laughed. Both our vehicles are gray metallic and I only have a couple of very small chips. Worse yet, his does mostly low speed driving around town while most of my driving is highway including winter ski trips and getting pelted with road salt and sand.

Last edited:

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have to say, the LR4 has the toughest paint I've ever had and I've had late model Volvos, Porsches, and BMW's. The LR4 is our family truckster and winter car. We've done several multi-hundred-mile road trips - many in the winter.

The under carriage has annoying surface rust, but the painted areas? Awesome.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Discovery at 10 years old did not have any noticeable paint chips and my LR3, now at 10 years old does not either. My wife's brand new convertible Beetle had 3 large deep chips inside the first week before we quickly put protection film on. Granted the Land Rover's sit up higher off the road, but jeez, I never thought much about paint quality until the Beetle. The Land Rover paint does really hold up nice now that I think about it.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe Rover paint is softer and less brittle. The benefit is less paint chips, the drawback is more scratches from things like automatic car washes.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe Rover paint is softer and less brittle. The benefit is less paint chips, the drawback is more scratches from things like automatic car washes.

That may be the case. I use Rejex once a year after claying. I only put 5-7k miles and garage the LR4, so it holds pretty well. It's not the most beautiful/glossy protective coat, but it is durable and easy to apply.

I always hand wash my cars. During winter I use the touchless had wand to remove the grossness until spring comes.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That and the hood being horizontal helps. I have 3M on all leading edges including the entire hood and front fenders. Looks good for a 2010 that is driven in the gravel/sandblasting conditions that define our winters.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9