Living up to its unreliable history

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is he the guy that created the Evoque? After the Evoque everything started to turn into bigger versions of it. The LR4 was the last one to go but now it’s just another version of the Evoque design.

I never understood why they would make such a vehicle but it was priced low and probably had an audience among non-LR owners. What doesn’t make sense to me is “Evoquing” every vehicle in LR’s lineup.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that guy. I feel like Land Rover's sales are on borrowed time at this point, and they are $4.50 a gallon gas away from cutting some of their lineup. Too many luxury makes have their own SUVs now, and what made a Land Rover different barely exists anymore.

But that's just my opinion.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with your opinion. Hopefully, LR will come back to its origins (and senses) and at least with the Discovery offer us a classic, boxy, straight line design, full size, 3-row, off-road capable SUV with a cutoff rear window (and with a shifter) that stands out from the masses like the LR4 did.

BrandonM7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that guy. I feel like Land Rover's sales are on borrowed time at this point, and they are $4.50 a gallon gas away from cutting some of their lineup. Too many luxury makes have their own SUVs now, and what made a Land Rover different barely exists anymore.

But that's just my opinion.

I agree. I still like the RRS and RR, but only in certain trims. I don't like any of the others anymore. I actually do think the Evoque is good looking - probably the best of the Evoqued models as alexcorral called it - but it's a nearly useless vehicle for my life. If I were going to buy something so small it's only good for carrying a couple of people from point A to point B it might as well be a sports car or motorcycle, not a cute ute.

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You got a good discount on your new Land Cruiser. Your LR4 didn't go up $12k in trade value between the lr dealer and the Toyota dealer. They sell for 22-24k all day long. That isn't a testament to the lr4 resale value.

I forget the exact numbers, but according to Dave Ramsey, a new car loses ~75% of its value in 4-5 years. I’d say a $65k LR4 for $22-24 is slightly above average. I’m guessing that a “luxury car” is typically worse than that average as well.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forget the exact numbers, but according to Dave Ramsey, a new car loses ~75% of its value in 4-5 years. I’d say a $65k LR4 for $22-24 is slightly above average. I’m guessing that a “luxury car” is typically worse than that average as well.
I got $25K for a $55K LR4 :)

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never got my LR4 to sell it after 4-5 years, otherwise I would not have bought it. I sincerely expect to keep it indefinitely. It will have very few miles, so I can see having it for 20 years.

But even if it is "just" 10 years, I bet it would be worth a decent amount as a late model, fully-spec'd, low mileage V8 LR4.

BrandonM7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got $25K for a $55K LR4 :)

...you said you got 32k a few posts back, and were even condescending to me when I suggested that you got a discount on the LC rather than receiving more in trade value than it was actually worth...

BrandonM7

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Dave Ramsay is good with money, but he doesn't sell cars. The trade value of a 5yo lr4/rrs is legit about 1/4 sale price so it does match his average - hit the nail on the head there. Look at the comparable residual value (and purchase price, not msrp) of a land cruiser.

I never said what a used lr4 was actually worth, I simply pointed out that his didn't gain or lose 12k in value on the ride from one dealer to another. It's worth 20-22k to anyone planning to resell it for a profit. Simple math. They'll be lucky to get 26k out of it on the lot, more likely it goes to auction and pulls 17-18k. They discounted his lc but made him feel better about his lr and the deal by hiding it there. This isn't a new tactic, not sure why it's met by such contention here.

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave Ramsay is good with money, but he doesn't sell cars. The trade value of a 5yo lr4/rrs is legit about 1/4 sale price so it does match his average - hit the nail on the head there. Look at the comparable residual value (and purchase price, not msrp) of a land cruiser.

Ok, you win!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9