LR 4 Retired

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at Land Cruisers(LCs) for a while. I almost bought an 03 LC100 4 or so years ago but couldn't get over how much of a dog the 4.7 engine was, even with vvti and the updated 5sp AT. The 5.7 is much better. To me, the main appeal of the LC is the engineering underneath. I don't care about the badge, or honestly, even the interior/electronics that much. I know that every single component is built to (at least) a 25 year lifecycle. I know that they are built on a dedicated assembly line in Japan and are subject to the 25% chicken tax(which is partly why they are so expensive here). It is an overbuilt, overengineered machine that is not meant for a casual truck/suv shopper, which is why Toyota doesn't really care to market it here or distinguish it in any way. The people who want one, they know what it is. The Land Cruiser brand(much like Land Rover) is known around the world. I do love my LR4 and it has been rock solid but if/when it starts to fall apart, this seems like a logical transition.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel that for some it's more than that. Toyota, great company. I have a problem with their subpar approach to really setting the LC apart from the others. When I sat in the LC200 I just looked around and noticed a Toyota/Lexus parts bin of equipment. Things found in upgraded modeled Camrys, tundras, 4runners (dare I say Prius... Drive the new one and you'll notice) and other vehicles in the lineup. It drove nice.... Actually really nice, like a proper SUV. BUT...At that price it did nothing to echo the heritage of the 60 and prior series. Something to really set it apart. They need a full interior redesign, something that would make it a true flagship. And you know what I'm talking about....I would buy one tomorrow if they could pull that off and do more than just put a retro badge on a special edition. I know Toyota can do it...at the very least slightly update the LC70 and sell it here... That would be sweet

I completely agree with you! I understand your point, an interior refresh is needed to appeal to more people and for the price. I like the old school dated interior because I’m an old man. Haha! The interior is rock solid and durable, like most of their line up. It’s a lot of money to spend, but it is an investment in many ways.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at Land Cruisers(LCs) for a while. I almost bought an 03 LC100 4 or so years ago but couldn't get over how much of a dog the 4.7 engine was, even with vvti and the updated 5sp AT. The 5.7 is much better. To me, the main appeal of the LC is the engineering underneath. I don't care about the badge, or honestly, even the interior/electronics that much. I know that every single component is built to (at least) a 25 year lifecycle. I know that they are built on a dedicated assembly line in Japan and are subject to the 25% chicken tax(which is partly why they are so expensive here). It is an overbuilt, overengineered machine that is not meant for a casual truck/suv shopper, which is why Toyota doesn't really care to market it here or distinguish it in any way. The people who want one, they know what it is. The Land Cruiser brand(much like Land Rover) is known around the world. I do love my LR4 and it has been rock solid but if/when it starts to fall apart, this seems like a logical transition.

you said it way better than me and that’s exactly why I made the switch. Plus I got an amazing deal and could not pass it up. Some markets are more willing to give you a deal since they sell terribly.... I got a left over 2018 with 60 miles for $69,500. Yes, I negotiated and walked away from 4 dealerships and finally got an amazing deal that probably is hard to find.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The 4.7 may have been a "dog" but it is possibly the best engine ever built from a longevity standpoint. 500k examples are common and they definitely don't require $5k tensioner swaps at 100k. .

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 4.7 may have been a "dog" but it is possibly the best engine ever built from a longevity standpoint. 500k examples are common and they definitely don't require $5k tensioner swaps at 100k. .

Yeah, the only issue with the 4.7 is the timing belt has to be changed about every 90k miles. At least it's possible to DIY it.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the only issue with the 4.7 is the timing belt has to be changed about every 90k miles. At least it's possible to DIY it.

yeah that was a rock solid engine and very easy to work on at home. I love the 5.7 engine, it’s just as easy to do everything yourself. Very old school.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well technically I guess the 5.0L LR V8 timing guides are DIY but I don't have the brain or balls to attempt it.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought this was a Land Rover board, not a Toyota ;-). I kid, I kid. Hanging on to mine as long as I can. Waiting to pick up a used (new style) defender 110 in about three years.

Yeah honestly there should probably be a thread called “From LR to ??” For all you quitters. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM