LR4 Long-term Spot Check - Interior Quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious since most of us have been participating in the forums since 2010, how's your interior holding up?

My leather seats (non-Lux) still look new. I'm pleased that they've kept their shape and haven't worn at all.

My interior is rattle free and still solid.

My dashboard does like to flex and has quite a lot of plastic cracking/creaking going on during certain weather. On humid, warmer days my interior sounds like a Bentley. One cold (50s), dry days, it sounds like a Ford.

All interior knobs and buttons are flawless - as good as new. No wear and tear, no coatings coming off... pretty high marks here.

Stereo sounds great... considering. Has warmed up quite a bit and is well burned in. I have no complaints here... mind you, I wish I had the L7.

Windows roll up and down as new. Even the little "dew" sleeves are as good as new. Love rolling the windows down/up on a foggy/dew morning and having all that removed off the windows before moving on.

Nav works as always... no quirks.

>>>

My only disappointment with the interior is the lousy plastic creaking/snapping (sounds ultra-cheap) I get on cool dry days.

mattypV50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will say I've only had mine for a few months now but living in Canada there is a lot of creaking in cold weather. My glove box has a huge rattle which I took it back to the dealership for and they agreed it was bad. They have ordered me a whole new unit from the UK but it's back ordered. Looking forward to it quieting down this summer.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dashboard does like to flex and has quite a lot of plastic cracking/creaking going on during certain weather. On humid, warmer days my interior sounds like a Bentley. One cold (50s), dry days, it sounds like a Ford.

All interior knobs and buttons are flawless - as good as new. No wear and tear, no coatings coming off... pretty high marks here.

Stereo sounds great... considering. Has warmed up quite a bit and is well burned in. I have no complaints here... mind you, I wish I had the L7.

Windows roll up and down as new. Even the little "dew" sleeves are as good as new. Love rolling the windows down/up on a foggy/dew morning and having all that removed off the windows before moving on.

Nav works as always... no quirks.

>>>

My only disappointment with the interior is the lousy plastic creaking/snapping (sounds ultra-cheap) I get on cool dry days.

That is disappointing in a car like that. Never had any issues in many years of modern 3-series. My wife's Mini is not so great, though.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2011 LR4 HSE (non-lux) interior is great, no fading or wearing of anything. My non-Lux seats are like new (I do clean and condition them at least every other month) and there are no signs of wear anything. Like others, there is some cracking in cold weather or while off roading, but it's not too bad.

The only issue that I have is that the black molding below my windshied wipers faded quite a bit (it looked pretty sad). I used "Forever Black" on that area and it helped condition and bring it black to a nice black. Now it looks much better. I actually gave everything (except the rear bumper) a nice coating of the "Forever Black" and it does an excellent job bringing the black trim back to new and helping to resist UV fading.

-David

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2011 LR4 HSE (non-lux) interior is great, no fading or wearing of anything. My non-Lux seats are like new (I do clean and condition them at least every other month) and there are no signs of wear anything. Like others, there is some cracking in cold weather or while off roading, but it's not too bad.

The only issue that I have is that the black molding below my windshied wipers faded quite a bit (it looked pretty sad). I used "Forever Black" on that area and it helped condition and bring it black to a nice black. Now it looks much better. I actually gave everything (except the rear bumper) a nice coating of the "Forever Black" and it does an excellent job bringing the black trim back to new and helping to resist UV fading.

-David

LOL! My cowling also faded terribly. I used Back-to-Black and it worked for about a month. Now it looks like ass again. Used half the bottle too... :argh:

Maybe I should try the Forever Black instead. I found the process of bringing it back to life utterly laborious as well. The wiper arms provide an unforgiving finger and thumb slicer to boot.

I may ask the dealership to fix it under warranty. It's somewhat unacceptable for a garaged vehicle just 2.5-years old.

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL! My cowling also faded terribly. I used Back-to-Black and it worked for about a month. Now it looks like ass again. Used half the bottle too... :argh:

Maybe I should try the Forever Black instead. I found the process of bringing it back to life utterly laborious as well. The wiper arms provide an unforgiving finger and thumb slicer to boot.

I may ask the dealership to fix it under warranty. It's somewhat unacceptable for a garaged vehicle just 2.5-years old.
I wondered if we could bring this up to the dealer and have them replace it under warranty. Mine is pretty bad, but definitely a lot better since using "Forever Black". It is not a silicone-based solution, but rather has a black pigment. It looks really nice, but takes a little bit of technique to applying it.

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2011 LUX with 15k miles: interior looks like new, but then I am meticulous about leather and plastic conditioning. No creaking even in subzero temps we occasionally have here. Radio/NAV unit went out mysteriously a few times but would always come back after 15-20 minutes. The speakers' membranes and the subwoofer froze a few times but then got back to normal when the temps rose in the day time. Even though my trade in cycle is about 2 years, I've decided to keep this one at least until the warranty is up, because I have no idea which way to go (...not too excited about the new models coming out). Original brakes/tires

Last edited:

GBRover

Reaction score
2011 with 41,000+ miles. Best car I have ever owned. Interior is like new, no squeaks, rattles etc.... Car cleans right up! Maintenance has just been routine and still have original front brakes with plenty of stopping power. Put new tires on at 40,000 (Toyo Open Country). I will probably hold on to this one for some time.

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2010 and just broke 50k miles. Here is my interior update:

a small screw that holds the driver side rear seat latch came loose.
driver side window sill has very slight indentation of my elbow. Maybe I have a sharp elbow?
Non-Lux seat leather normal wear on the side bolster but look new everywhere else.

everything else looks/operates as it should.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems like the leather, even the Lux leather, is much heavier grain than other cars I have owned. The leather in my Infiniti was much softer than my lux lr4, but that is fine. I think it will hold up better.

I had pretty significant wear on my 06 g35 after 6 years.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM