LR4 on 33's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bryan Jones

The guy with the 35's
Reaction score
What I don't like is the offset and the rim diameter, but it's your ride and your money, so more power to ya.
I'm currently trying to find a wheel with a higher offset, but anything above +30 (even +35) offset is hard to find with a good loadrating. Reason I went with 20's over 18's: 20's are a guarantee fit, 18's aren't guaranteed to fit because of the brake caliper and what not

The 20" wheel I test fitted has a loadrating of 2500lbs. Compared to a +38 offset with a 1400lb loadrating

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm currently trying to find a wheel with a higher offset, but anything above +30 (even +35) offset is hard to find with a good loadrating. Reason I went with 20's over 18's: 20's are a guarantee fit, 18's aren't guaranteed to fit because of the brake caliper and what not

The 20" wheel I test fitted has a loadrating of 2500lbs. Compared to a +38 offset with a 1400lb loadrating

I like the effort of making a video but what you are forgetting or not seeing here is that when you turn the front wheels, the edge of the tire will swing into the body, massively if you try using even wider offset and the wide tire and wheel combination.

It is not by accident that the Mudtech and compomotive wheels have just enough offset and are not super wide wheels.

If you are at all serious about wanting a killer set up, send those 20's back, spend about $1500-$2000 on 18' that are WAY better wheels and then a proper width tire like a 275/70-18 or hell, you could even go with the size I have of 285/70-18 which is just under 34" - but only if you do in fact install the strut spacers. The ride quality will also be a lot better. In any off road situation though, there is no comparison, it would be very enjoyable.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you also needed to do a flex test while also turning. Then you'll see it's not as simple as flattening the rear liner bump and relocating the ac tubing, but up front it's all sorts of hell created with a wider tire set out so far.

This is why I told you I already tested a 305 width tire. You basically cannot just cut a little bit, you'll also have to relocate the window washer tank to up inside the engine bay from the lower driver side bumper.

You'll need to set up a test flex situation like a low wall with ramp. You need to get about 16" under the tire as if you're on a trail with a rock under it. Even then it's not as much as a rear trail.

Again, if none of that is your interest, then go for it with the wide city wheels and tires.

The thing with Mudtech saying a brake size, that's the rotor, if the lr4 US model rotor is that size front and rear, then it'll work, no concern at all. Worst case is it might need a little grinding on the fins that stick out.

Heck, if you bought the Mudtech and they don't work for you, I'd buy them off you.

Bryan Jones

The guy with the 35's
Reaction score
I like the effort of making a video but what you are forgetting or not seeing here is that when you turn the front wheels, the edge of the tire will swing into the body, massively if you try using even wider offset and the wide tire and wheel combination.
I know about the offset. A +40 offset on a 20x9 wheel, is the exact same distance from the wheel to the suspension as a 19x8 wheel. A compo or mudtech, 18x8.5 with +44 is basically centered. The distance from the suspension (9mm) is the same distance it sticks out (9mm)

TL;DR a +40 on a 20x9 wheel is the almost the equivalent of a +53 19x8 or a +47 20x8.5 (stock 20" wheel size)

I know I need to do a flex video, but as stated in the video, I have 1 wheel and 1 tire. I'm not going to drive anywhere with 3 19's and a 20, just to show articulation. I literally just the wheel on so I could get a rough idea of what it looked mounted. Nothing more, nothing less. We're all working people, some work more than others. Give me time and I will show you progress

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know about the offset. A +40 offset on a 20x9 wheel, is the exact same distance from the wheel to the suspension as a 19x8 wheel. A compo or mudtech, 18x8.5 with +44 is basically centered. The distance from the suspension (9mm) is the same distance it sticks out (9mm)

TL;DR a +40 on a 20x9 wheel is the almost the equivalent of a +53 19x8 or a +47 20x8.5 (stock 20" wheel size)

I know I need to do a flex video, but as stated in the video, I have 1 wheel and 1 tire. I'm not going to drive anywhere with 3 19's and a 20, just to show articulation. I literally just the wheel on so I could get a rough idea of what it looked mounted. Nothing more, nothing less. We're all working people, some work more than others. Give me time and I will show you progress

Yeah, I understand. I was just trying to give you some ideas like flex test right there in the driveway. If you had access to a couple of those plastic wedge ramps or a tree section like people use as a stool or to chop wood on. No need to drive anywhere.

Regarding offset.... 40 is 13mm wider set point than the 53, then you have 1/2 of the wheel width 12.5 = outside face will sit 25.5mm or 1 inch further out. Then when you put a wider tire on, it's gets way too tight during turning if the wide tire is also a taller tire. Tall but not so wide or wide but not so tall will work best.

The 47 ET 8.5" wheel face will end up 6mm + 6mm so 12mm wider than a factory 8"/53et. You should see what Lucky8 did to make their wider tires not rip the crap out of the body and fender liners. They pretty much thrash their vehicles though and have no issue with things getting ripped off or broken.

I could be entirely wrong but when someone wants to spend $ on nicer 20's, they usually aren't planning to beat the vehicle up too much.

Good luck. I think I've exhausted my usefulness.

Bryan Jones

The guy with the 35's
Reaction score
Yeah, I understand. I was just trying to give you some ideas like flex test right there in the driveway. If you had access to a couple of those plastic wedge ramps or a tree section like people use as a stool or to chop wood on. No need to drive anywhere.

Regarding offset.... 40 is 13mm wider set point than the 53, then you have 1/2 of the wheel width 12.5 = outside face will sit 25.5mm or 1 inch further out. Then when you put a wider tire on, it's gets way too tight during turning if the wide tire is also a taller tire. Tall but not so wide or wide but not so tall will work best.

The 47 ET 8.5" wheel face will end up 6mm + 6mm so 12mm wider than a factory 8"/53et. You should see what Lucky8 did to make their wider tires not rip the crap out of the body and fender liners. They pretty much thrash their vehicles though and have no issue with things getting ripped off or broken.

I could be entirely wrong but when someone wants to spend $ on nicer 20's, they usually aren't planning to beat the vehicle up too much.

Good luck. I think I've exhausted my usefulness.
I'm not going to do extreme stuffs like Lucky 8, but I do plan on rock crawling and mudding, and some trails. Lucky 8 was also no help. They didn't give any info that I didn't already know. Just said I'd need bump stops spacers, rods, and to trim……wow……much helpful

Last edited:

Bryan Jones

The guy with the 35's
Reaction score
I've actually been reading, and re reading the write up on the LR3 with the 33" Nitto Mud Grapplers. Seems pretty do-able with some modifications

Oddly enough, that build had 18x9 +32 offset wheels. I plan on doing 20x9 +30 offset wheels. Crazy how that works out. Only downside is nothing follows after the build is complete. Guess I'll see how it does off road and the ride quality

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So when do you decide on the purchase of the other three tires? What's the criteria and timeline? You now have a captive audience!!

Bryan Jones

The guy with the 35's
Reaction score
So when do you decide on the purchase of the other three tires? What's the criteria and timeline? You now have a captive audience!!
As of now, I'm literally just waiting on the lift kit before I start getting anything fitted. That should be here next week sometime. I'm leaving at the end on the month for business, so I want to get everything in and probably have it worked on while I'm gone, so when I get back I can purchase the rest.

Overall, probably a month or so. Definitely going to post a video of everything

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72