LR4 on 33's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bryan Jones

The guy with the 35's
Reaction score
I see you deleted your post about how you "test fit" 305's, so please do re explain how you test fit 305's without doing cutting. You know, since that's the only way they'll work

Fugi Snow

Reaction score
Well... from the sidelines... if by chance they don't work, and I think everyone on this thread hopes they do (who doesn't want to have a bad ass bigger tire rig?) but... without major modifications that cost $$$ or sacrifice the ride integrity or aesthetic of the LR4. That said have you thought about coil springs? Here's an old link from 2017 from Lucky 8. My indy shop here in Santa Fe states that they have a kit with 2.5" lift (they can customize from there if you want to go higher).

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...DC64429175EEEA16EA22DC64429175EE&&FORM=VRDGAR

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...2DC64429175EEEA16EA22DC64429175EE&FORM=VDQVAP

Bryan Jones

The guy with the 35's
Reaction score
I hadn't even though about coil springs. I'll have to look real hard into that and talk to the shop

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see you deleted your post about how you "test fit" 305's, so please do re explain how you test fit 305's without doing cutting. You know, since that's the only way they'll work
More LOL for you Mr.

I told you then the test fit did not work and how and why. Have fun wasting $ or cutting. It's going to be one or the other. If you're cool with that, then you should've said so from the start like you mentioned in previous post saying you'll have them do whatever is required. "whatever is required" makes it totally possible of course, but you made the whole deal sound like it would be no big deal.

Too funny you're willing to go through so much trouble to make an inferior wheel size work though. It's the opposite of what the land rover is based on, form following function. You're choosing the look of the wheels and will do more work and spend more, to still end up with something less capable off road than what we tried to help you understand.

I never said the tire won't work in by any means possible, I said without extensive changes beyond what others have done. Yet you'll still not have as much ground clearance as mine or as good of traction in sand, snow, or rock crawling simply because you've chosen a wide 20".

I've said all along, it'll look cool, and that will be the primary result.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well... from the sidelines... if by chance they don't work, and I think everyone on this thread hopes they do (who doesn't want to have a bad ass bigger tire rig?) but... without major modifications that cost $$$ or sacrifice the ride integrity or aesthetic of the LR4. That said have you thought about coil springs? Here's an old link from 2017 from Lucky 8. My indy shop here in Santa Fe states that they have a kit with 2.5" lift (they can customize from there if you want to go higher).

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...DC64429175EEEA16EA22DC64429175EE&&FORM=VRDGAR

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...2DC64429175EEEA16EA22DC64429175EE&FORM=VDQVAP

Well, going the direction myself and others have with an 18x8, I use a larger tire than is being proposed but it fully works in all conditions with minimal modifications needed. There will be nothing new gained in this effort that is not already known and experimented with. It's really no mystery or magic.

You mentioned "major mods, $$$, ride integrity" all of which are basically negated here. A 12"wide 20 will not have a great ride, nor will it handle as best possible at 80mph on the interstate, while also being inferior to a narrower tire on an 18" off road at low psi like 18-20.

In sand the best performer is narrow and tall let down to under 20psi because it makes a long contact area. Wide tires end up pushing, using a 20" resulting in shorter sidewall makes that even worse because of limits on psi and shape created. This stuff has been proven since tires were invented.

That wide tire will also be total **** in snow because it will get pulled around as well as try to sit on top or push snow and slush. There is a simple reason snow tires are even narrower than normal tires. Similar thing applies to sand. You see huge wide tires on lightweight rigs that actually can float, the lr4 at 6000 lbs with nothing in it but you is not going to float, not even with a 12" tire and certainly not a 20" version.

A killer poser car is being created in this thread, nothing more, though it'll look cool for sure, and I don't mean that in any sarcastic way. It will in fact look cool as hell.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're not even giving advice,

I gave you advice, the best being that the tire is too wide, 2nd offset too wide, 3rd that for off road a 20 is just counter productive effectively eliminating the benefits of an aggressive tire and all the work.

You didn't want advice, you wanted praise or attention or something. I removed all the data posts because you apparently weren't interested in actual facts and data but rather find being set on a look to be more important. Then you talked about "rock crawling and some mud" which is just funny to imagine 20's you showed in the rocks with the pressure too high for the best traction. It would be entertaining to watch.

What wouldv't been actually killer is if you were willing to be serious about doing something awesome like making a 35 fit but narrow so it would actually work.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love this!!!

For the record, I think Jwest is absolutely spot-on, but I want Jones to keep going from a pure curiosity/entertainment aspect.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As stated in the beginning, they only work on Land Rovers, they have several project vehicles that they work on. If I have to cut into it the truck and go beyond what anyone else has done, then I'm going to. End of discussion. I'm not asking for ways to make it fit, I'm telling you: I'm going to make it work. Now sit back and enjoy the damn show

So what's the name of the shop? What have they done so far on a modern rover? There's a person who did a body lift on a range rover sport that then allowed 35 or 37" tires and due to separating the suspension zone from the main limitation, the body, it became a functional result.

Maybe we misunderstood your reasoning but no matter how you try to sell the idea, 20's are always going to be a crap choice on this because more sidewall is superior.

My guess is you've never cut a tire off road or bent a wheel.

Fugi Snow

Reaction score
Words from the Owners Manual that should definitely be taken in consideration if your vehicle is under a warranty:

WARNING

Contact your Land Rover Dealer/

Authorised Repairer before fitting any

accessory wheels or tyres. Your

Dealer will be able to offer guidance regarding

the correct accessories. Fitting incorrect

wheel/tyre combinations can seriously affect

the ride and handling of your vehicle. In

extreme cases this may lead to loss of control

of the vehicle.

Bryan Jones

The guy with the 35's
Reaction score
So what's the name of the shop? What have they done so far on a modern rover? There's a person who did a body lift on a range rover sport that then allowed 35 or 37" tires and due to separating the suspension zone from the main limitation, the body, it became a functional result.

Maybe we misunderstood your reasoning but no matter how you try to sell the idea, 20's are always going to be a crap choice on this because more sidewall is superior.

My guess is you've never cut a tire off road or bent a wheel.
Pikes Peak Rovers, Colorado Springs, CO

Funny you say 20's are a crap choice when this vehicle comes with 20's (obviously in certain trims). Stock wheels are alloy, so why can't I put different alloy wheels on? Load rating is pretty decent 2500 lbs per wheel

Yes, I actually have a cut a tire while on the trail. My Duratracs actually had a cut on the inside sidewall while I was on a trail that I had taken highway tires on before.

Just for you J, I'm gonna try to fit some 35's. 11-11.5 in width. FYI, that'd give roughly 7-7.5 inches of sidewall. About the same as a 33 on an 18 inch wheel, just more narrow. Just for you

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72