Muffler parameters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. I am giving up. As i dont have original middle muffler thing anymore - i cant measure it :(

Can someone please help me out - i know that tube size is 2.25" (and from 96 its 2.5).
Looks like inlet is centered and outlet is offset and thickness is about 5-6"? What about width?

I am dying here :) Wanna get new mufffffler.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup.. Thanks :)

Pity its not gonna work for what i wont :(

I am looking to fit oval body one, not cylinder one.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need a center inlet, offset-outlet design, IIRC. Then you can use factory mounting points and hangers.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its ok. I ordered Edelbrock oval thingy and we shall see how it will turn out :)

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. New Edelbrock RPM series muffler been put on, rear rusted silencer was removed. Overall time - 18 minutes. Dude in muffler shop was shaking his head saying "damn i havent thought it would be that easy".

First of all i got CUTE (yep) roar now. Its not loud, but you can actually feel difference in lower obertones. And as speed goes up - its becoming pretty silent (about as much noise level as before). Not that i did care, but its interesting notherless - as this muffler is about 1/2 of stock one. Its actually almost of size of stock rear silencer. But then that is how it was positioned amongst muffler tests - to not be loud. Its actually been marked as more quiet than magnaflow and flowtech to my recollection.

Power gain - i wouldnt say i am starting out much better - i.e its not leaping forward from dead stop as i am pressing acceleration pedal. But then i didnt want it, and i am actually havent tried to floor pedal yet (never really drive like it). What i noticed is that if i am pushing pedal steady, truck actually accelerating exponentially, as oppose to be pretty much linear before (i.e it wouldnt really speed up much overtime, going uphill on same RPMs). So i'd say there is some power gain - but yet to be verified in longer driving.

Mileage improvement - no clue if any.

Clearance - bloody thing is like 3.6" tall, about 7" wide and 15" long. Its pretty much leveled with frame.

Overall - i am damn impressed with that tiny muffler. Money feels like well spent so far.

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Edelbrock RPM series mufflers

Sergie, for 2 1/2" that would be number 5510 muffler, 3 5/8" x 9 1/8" x 19" body or 23" overall length. Sounds great dosen't it. RPM series mufflers flow better than Flowmasters and have a better sound. The best part they are a lifetime stainless steel muffler, i've had a set over 10 years on my 3/4 ton pickup, they were 76 dollars each back then. Carl.......o&o>........

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Carl, early Discos - 94-95 with 3.9L are 2.25 tubing. Its 5501 with center/center. Altough center/offset will do as well.

But it does sound very nice. I'd say "just right" - not too loud, not too whimpy. Compliments Discovery very nicely.

I think i paid 79$ at summitracing last week, which with 8.5$ s&h is not all that bad - considering i also got exhaust adhestive shield to put in place of my long gone one (one above middle muffler) :) Figured i may as well glue it on (after rust treating and coating) for 19$ instead of coughing up at least 64$ for original one and then pay all the funny shipping charges for it.

Warranty on RPM series mufflers is actually 90 days now. Or at least thats what card said. But yeah its stainless steel - so it will hold for long time :)

Btw i tried to apply pedal a tad more agressively than usual this morning (got to do it to make lovely left turn in front of all the college kids going to college) - and now i can attest to getting better power. I made my 0-40m/h in about 2/3 of usual run (there is limit of 30, but you got to run away from gitts on little rice cars with bold tires if you know whats good for you, untill they making final turn to college. Then one can slow down).

So overall - me like new muffler :)

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RPM vs Borla?

Sergei, have you had a chance to compare the rpm muffler vs the Borla system on Rovers? The Borla sounds good but has a resonance zone around 23 to 2,500 rpm, around highway cruise zone. Carl......o&o>..........

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope. There isnt big stash of rovers around and to play myself with both - i would rather get winch and muffler for the price of their catback system.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM