Roadside blowout

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally happened. We were about 75 miles into our trip from DC to WV and cruising along. I hit some type of debris and thought at first it was a chunk of large truck tire. But it made a pretty solid bang, then about 5 seconds later my TPMS alert flashed, followed by a suspension fault warning. I could tell immediately that my rear passenger side tire was shot and I was close to riding the rim.

It was really fun changing the tire a few feet from interstate traffic whizzing by. The cargo mat came in handy as a place to kneel and flop on while extracting the spare and then jacking everything up. At one point I looked over and my wife was sitting on a grassy bank taking pictures with her cell phone and laughing. Thanks, dear.

The only head scratcher moment came as I went to put the lugs back on the spare. On the original rims, the lugs screw in their entire length, and the holding force is on the washers under the bolt head. On the spare, the holes are smaller so the beveled tips are what dog down and provide the holding force. That just didn't look right to me so I called my friendly indy shop and they assured me that it was cool.

The donut spare was only inflated to 20 psi and it calls for 60 so we made it to a nearby service station to air it up. I ducked off the interstate to take a more scenic and less-traveled route and I still had to pull over every now and then to let others pass. I have been behind people in this situation before and they are often clueless about the effect they have on traffic.

During the drive home I was able to order a new Nokian WRG3 from the same guy who sold me four back in January. He's in Lansing, Michigan, so I gave him a hard time over the way the Michigan State Spartans blew up my bracket. I also called my indy shop back and arranged to have them mount it early next week.

Since our schedule was now hosed, we decided to stay home tonight and try again in the morning. Bummer that we won't be able to take the LR4, but all's well that ends well. Time for a cold beer and a cigar. Happy Easter weekend, everyone.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain. A few weeks ago we were all packed up on our way to go skiing. We left at noon on a Friday to avoid rush hour traffic in Boston. About 1 hour into the 4 hour trip I got a flat. Big 1/2" bolt in the tire. So we had to unpack all the gear in the back to get at the spare tire and changing it with that scissor jack is not fun.

I do have a full size spare but figured a second flat tire would be a real problem. So we circled back home, unpacked the gear again and swapped the flat for a summer tire. All this wasted over 2 hours so we were stuck in the evening traffic after all.

If the new Discovery doesn't appear by this fall, I'll probably trade my LR4 for the new Q7. The one thing holding me back is that the new Q7 has run flats and no spare. Not a fan of that set-up.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PS: Now looking for a 2011 LR4 19" rim in decent shape. I posted in the "Wanted!" section but figured I'd float it here, too.

Hayseed, I haven't reviewed and approved her photos yet! When I saw what she was doing I did warn her not to post to social media. That didn't stop her from sending to various family members so the genie is probably out of the bottle by now.

PaulLR3-- Ouch (about the snow story and about possibly ditching the Landy!)

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PS: Now looking for a 2011 LR4 19" rim in decent shape. I posted in the "Wanted!" section but figured I'd float it here, too.

Hayseed, I haven't reviewed and approved her photos yet! When I saw what she was doing I did warn her not to post to social media. That didn't stop her from sending to various family members so the genie is probably out of the bottle by now.

PaulLR3-- Ouch (about the snow story and about possibly ditching the Landy!)

Ouch. I don't know which is worse. Changing a flat on the shoulder of the interstate or on a rough trail. At least on the trail you know you're not going to get hit by some idiot texting while speeding down the interstate at 90MPH!

As for the pics, I'm going to go do a search on YouTube and see how many hits you have. ;-)

BTW, since you have to get a new tire, maybe go with a full size spare?

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ouch. I don't know which is worse. Changing a flat on the shoulder of the interstate or on a rough trail. At least on the trail you know you're not going to get hit by some idiot texting while speeding down the interstate at 90MPH!

As for the pics, I'm going to go do a search on YouTube and see how many hits you have. ;-)

BTW, since you have to get a new tire, maybe go with a full size spare?

Dan, both scenarios are less than ideal, but I would rather change a flat on the interstate than while wheeling in the boondocks. Although in this case I was not on a flat surface and that was unavoidable. BTW, am I to believe that those little chocks would have really save my bacon if the Landy shifted? Oh well, it worked out ok.

Re full size spare, see my post above. That's my plan exactly. I will use the dinged-up rim on one of the Bridgestones I kept when I switched out to the set of Nokians. That will become my spare. Once I find a gently used replacement rim, I will have the new Nokian mounted on that to join the other 3.

Let me know if my wife's pics/videos are trending! :eek:

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cperez, to find that wheel, do a search on eBay motors for "19" LR4 wheel". You may be able to find your style wheel. If not, just buy a set of 4 in a different style for what the dealer would charge you for one new wheel. I picked up a set of 4 LR4 10-spoke wheels for winter tires for $700 total.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the blowout, that's terrible. Thank God everyone is safe. Have a happy Easter!

cperez.... Nice to connect with you on Instagram!

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cperez, to find that wheel, do a search on eBay motors for "19" LR4 wheel". You may be able to find your style wheel. If not, just buy a set of 4 in a different style for what the dealer would charge you for one new wheel. I picked up a set of 4 LR4 10-spoke wheels for winter tires for $700 total.

Good tip. I'm open to all solutions. I actually like my current rim style and if I can find one for a reasonable price I'll go with original plan. This will give me a set of 5 matching rims and a full-size spare. I hadn't thought about going into an entirely new style which might also be cool.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9