SCV6 spark plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any time I have a vehicle that's new to me, I like to think I can maintain it on my own. At least the basics, like changing spark plugs. My ex had a Subaru Outback where you had to really contort yourself to access the plugs.

I'm looking into this 2016 engine bay and I'm not even sure what to start removing to be able to see the ignition coils and plugs! Everything is buried. The manual I was able to get online seems to talk only about the V8 and the diesel engines. Same with YouTube vids: V8 is what I was able to find.

Anyone have any tips? It's only got 47k on it, and is running fine, but...peace of mind.

PS - if I made a version of the PDF manual that deleted the pages with the V8 and diesel-specific pages, would that be of help to anyone?

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
procedure for changing plugs should be the same on v6 and v8...its the same engine (with 2 cyl plugged and a SC on top)

IIRC, spark plugs were a little annoying. I did it without a manual though.
partially dis-assemble the boxes on the right and left rear of the engine bay. I did not remove the battery.
Use an assortment of extensions.
The rear 2 cylinders on the V8 were the worst, which you shouldn't be dealing with

I think i spent 2+ hours, and had a good amount of cuts on my hand.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL...good to know. I figured about the cuts on my hands. That was my experience with my Chevy Astro and with that Subaru as well.

Also good to hear that the V6 is the same basic engine as the V8. Thank you!

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plugs should be fine for 100k miles at least so you have some time.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with @ktm525. You have time before replacement. If you want to just explore, you can remove the insulators (rubbery covers over the valve covers) and examine the coils.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm at 90k and have no plans on replacing plugs until I need to. My uncle has a vehicle with 200k+ miles on the original plugs and no issues.

Now, my dads F150 EcoBoost eats through plugs every 60k miles or so, which gets annoying.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't leave them too long or they tend to "weld" into the head. At 100k the tips were ok but they were worn and some threads were corroded. One plug was oddly rusted.

IMG_3192.JPG
IMG_3193.JPG

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got 107K on our 2015, and need to do this, just been putting it off. Truck runs fine, just don't want to risk difficult removal. Out of all my cars, I dread working on this one most...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72