Steering wheel shake at 50-55 not wheel balancing problem.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robin Parsons

Reaction score
Mine has had similar problems. About every 25k miles. Checked all the usual items the first time. Alignment, balance control arms, etc. LR is heavy and ******* brakes. My indy found a very slight warp.in rotor. Turned all and shake is gone.

Ever since, i turn them every 20k or if shake starts. Never a problem since. I also upgraded to heavy drilled and slotted brakes. It seemed to help.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang. I wouldn't think it would be your brake rotors if you aren't applying your brakes when it's shimmying.

I still don't see how it could be the steering wheel, though. If the steering wheel was somehow loose, it would be loose at all speeds.

GeorgeYu27

Reaction score
Ryanjl that is what bogging our minds right now. I got the outer tie rods done. Tomorrow I'm going to try the inner and resurfacing the rotors.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steering WHEEL... no way. Maybe they mean steering RACK? Have a link to a bulletin or other docs?

Wheel bearings are worth checking, if not done already. Brake rotor is a faint possibility. Any play at the inner tie rods (at the rack)?

What were the Road Force numbers? Ideally you'd like to see numbers below ~30 lbs or so. You could swap front tires to rear and see if there is any change, if not, it's probably not wheels or tires.

:confused:

GeorgeYu27

Reaction score
I have had three shops do balance and road force ranging from 12 to 24. I have put stock wheels and tires back on. I have had 2 ailments done. Here is the bulletin for my vin range. Just don't want to drop money on a steering wheel when nobody believes it could be the steering wheel. The whole car shakes a little. Steering wheels is the worse.
2u4n0jj.jpg
q7pLsjk

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait, the whole car is shaking? Is it moving the steering wheel side to side, and that's shaking the whole car, or is the whole car shaking, and you're feeling it in the steering wheel?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72