Towing: How big/heavy camper r u towing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

schafari

I am going to be towing a travel trailer camper with my LR3 (V8 HSE) I am not familiar with towing. Towing with this vehicle is my only option. I would rather error on the small, but very easy towing side. I want to be able to thing about towing as "a breeze," not avoid it because it is nerve wracking. I need a hard side camper.

That being the case, from those that have towed with the LR3, what do think is a good safe range? I'll be towing with three young kids and my wife. I won't be doing much hilly areas at all, as I am in Texas.

I am thinking of something like the Forest River expandables via the rear slide. They are about 24' to 25" long and weigh about 3,700 - 4,500 dry weight including options.

Any and all feedback is much appreciated.

R

roverdawg

Dunno...but hope you have better luck than this poor guy. On a road trip from Seattle to Baja towing an Airstream (with his Grandmother riding shotgun). Unfortunately, problems with the tow set-up/air suspension from the get-go. The last post I read, he was in Roseburg, Oregon where he bought an F-150 to attempt to make the rest of the trip.....
http://billkueser.blogspot.com/2006/02/nighttime-view-of-my-new-and.html

S

schafari

Best I could make out, which I am no expert, but it looks like his Airstream is at least a 22' and likley the 25'. The Airstreams are heavy comparatively speaking, especially in the hitch weight. Most of the Airstreams, even the smallest 16' has dry hitch weights that would be over the LR3 limit. Dry hitch weight on the smallest is 430lbs dry. Add gas to the two 30lb propane tanks, and a battery, and you are easily over the LR3 hitch weight.

I ruled out the Airstreams for just this reason. No way to tow wiht only a max of 550lb hitch weight.

I really like that guy however, sounds like a standup character. Sad story about ditching the LR3. Makes me wonder for sure. . .

P

pbrover

Did the weight distribution hitch cause the gentlemen's suspension problem?

Grommet,

After reading all the towing threads, it would seem the "weight distribution hitch" (which your not suppose to use with and LR3) caused the suspension issues (Oregon to Baja trip dude). Is that what you concluded? I don't remember seeing the weight of the trailer though.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He said he had overheating issues before: http://billkueser.blogspot.com/2006/02/i-hope-tomorrow-is-better-day.html

The weight distribution hitch was added later, as an attempt to help... and that's definitely not recommended with LR3.

Beyond his LR3 being possibly faulty, I'd agree with schafari regarding the weight. It's quite possible he exceeded it as 550 lbs. of the "official" hitch tongue weight limit. Do note I know folks that have exeeded 700 lbs... taking advantage of those engineering buffers. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9