Turbocharger problem in Evoque...will it become LR4 issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magnumforc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The condensation issue in the 2.0 turbocharged engine in the Evoque has never, to my knowledge, ever been fully resolved. I wonder if it will become an issue with the LR4 as well, or if there is a different design to prevent the condensation? Following is the NHTSA report:

Manufacturer: LAND ROVER

SUMMARY:
LAND ROVER: CONDENSATION WILL BUILD UP, IN SOME VEHICLES, WITHIN ENGINE CHARGE AIR COOLER WHEN DRIVING DURING WET WEATHER AND RAPID INCREASE OF ENGINE SPEED, CONDENSATION WILL BE DRAWN TO ONE OF ENGINES CYLINDERS, CAUSING ENGINE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM TO MISFIRE. MODEL 2012-2013 RANGE ROVER EVOQUE. *PE

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would this happen with a supercharger? I know they are similar but draw power from different sources. I think the SC is directly from the engine vs. turbo is exhaust or something?

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off, these are 2 different systems as David pointed out. Second, if you follow threads on the Evoque, they have solved this problem with a software upgrade (and maybe something else). The upgrade is said to have increased the engine power and torque as well...

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off, these are 2 different systems as David pointed out. Second, if you follow threads on the Evoque, they have solved this problem with a software upgrade (and maybe something else). The upgrade is said to have increased the engine power and torque as well...
Unless Land Rover wants to harmonize even more and have th 2.0T engine in the LR4 - ha ha ha ha ;-)

Sorry, I just had to.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless Land Rover wants to harmonize even more and have th 2.0T engine in the LR4 - ha ha ha ha ;-)

Sorry, I just had to.

Hilarious. Granted it'd be plenty to cruise around a mall parking lot or drop the kids off at school.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hilarious. Granted it'd be plenty to cruise around a mall parking lot or drop the kids off at school.
LOL!!!

It's funny, the past couple days while riding my bike to and from work I encountered two horrible driving women (in LR4s) who nearly hit me. The first time they were pulling over into an ILLEGAL spot to drop their kids off at school and the second time she was texting and did not realize the light had turned red. Since I am a confirmed male chauvinist pig, I can say I get pretty darn annoyed at most women in Land Rovers.

Oh, and men too.

magnumforc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL...Okay, I agree the supercharger would NOT likely have the condensate problem the Evoque has/had. But I always think with the "new" changes that something will go wrong. I am not a fan of taking a small displacement engine and using either turbo or supercharging to increase power IF you have plans for towing or heavy duty grunt work. As a long time racer and offshore power boater as well as a kind of new off road enthusiast, there was always a saying dear to my heart; "There ain't no substitute for cubic inches!" And that equates to torque. I've driven the new LR4 and can honestly say it does not have the "off the line" snap the V8 does. The dealer was not amenable to any trailer pulling so that will have to be a future forum reading for us all. How it will fare in the long run is anyone's guess. Fuel mileage should be better but what's the trade off? You didn't shell out 60 grand to worry about fuel mileage I hope. I know that I'd rather put fuel in our two V8's than spend time in a loaner because of towing issues. Just my opinion.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4