Well crap!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's always bothered me that JLR is using a variation of Dex-Cool,

I am still not sure how important that variation is... it is NOT dex-cool... but ya.. I just hoard Pentofrost SF (SF-G12+) coolant which is Pink & Clear and the spec is WSS M97B44-D

Jose Aguilar

Reaction score
Thanks Guys!!! I’m about to purchase these parts, but want to make sure these are them and not missing anything else that should be replaced. Also, if there is something that can be left out since nothing is broken right now, like the thermostat, gaskets, and thermostat hoses). My 2012 has 93,000 miles and none of these parts have been replaced. Much appreciated.

LR018275 - Tube Water Outlet
LR109402 - Heater Manifold Tube
LR011038 - Bleeder Cap
LR032135 - Thermostat
LR049989 - Thermostat to Engine Cooling Hose
LR045238 - Throttle Coolant Hose
LR010881 - Intake manifold gaskets
LR048165 - Throttle gaskets

Hi: Is this for the V8 engine? Just checking. By the year 2012, it seems so....

Michael Puig

Reaction score
the only reason I brought it up was the lower pressure Evans claims - if plastic fails there would be a higher chance of saving the engine

pabs406

Reaction score
Hi: Is this for the V8 engine? Just checking. By the year 2012, it seems so....
Yes. I have the V8. Just wondering if it was also advisable to replace the other parts other than the 2 crossover pipes. Opinions?

zgpablo

Reaction score
Questions for the smart group:

I have a 2014 V6 with 53,000 miles on it. When would you do the crossover pipe replacement?

I am sure "RIGHT NOW" is the safe answer but realistically should I base it on mileage, age or a bit of both? The car started it's life in Boston and has been in the Colorado mountains for the last 2 years.

The new 2-part pipe, should it last longer?

And anybody know a good "reasonable" independent in Colorado?

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2013 with 43k miles on which I am considering the preemptive job next Fall, when I expect it will have 8 years and 50k miles. I've read from people here that pipe failures are more prevalent in year-round hot climates. I actually don't recall a "cold-weather" climate failure, but I'm sure I'm forgetting one.

Yours, like mine, being a Boston/CO vehicle, should be better off and could be fine for longer. I have considered waiting until 10 years and ~65k miles before I do mine, but that may be pushing it.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Water pumps are known to fail between 50k and 75k miles. That would be a good time to do it. Or anytime you have your hands deep in the engine for anything else.

Michael Puig

Reaction score
back to the crossover pipe failure - it would seem that heat soak plus time could be the culprit. I had some conversations with some thermal guys - if you are going to replace the plastic parts - you could insulate the parts with something like exhaust wrap followed by gold foil - that would protect the plastic from radiant heat soak.

Doing this may make it harder to see a potential leak - so you would have to go on and install a coolant pressure sensor - all that is pretty *********.

Another possibility is a cooling fan on a timer - I have a old BMW that has one - when I shut the car down the fan blows cold air over the turbo for 5 mins and shuts down. That could be another consideration to extend the life of the plastic parts - you can mount the fan in another location and duct the air to the pipes-