Well she's here!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the new used LR4 this past weekend! For the most part it's crazy ass amazing. I'm actually really surprised by how old it makes the LR3 feel.

They've already become fast friends, will be hard to get rid of the 3, it's been a very good rig.

295btl3.jpg

I'm sure I'll have plenty of comments and questions as I get to know it better. For now

Fantastic: Engine - ride - seats - engine - keyless entry - pushbutton start

********: Radio UI - tail lights.

I'm seriously thinking about 'downgrading' them. I mean really

w07z4.jpg

Other notes. The user vehicle set up button on the steering has no business being on the steering wheel. The radio settings should be in it's place. There's the exact same 'stuff' on the center console, but there's no longer room for a storage bin? Can't wait to 'need' the locking differential!

First questions: Does the 4 have the same cowl leak into the heat intake onto the floorboard issue? Sport mode is acting differently. If I'm coasting at say 50 mph in regular and shift into sport, it drastically downshifts (3rd?) and revs at 3000 rpm and won't shift up, even if I continue coasting. Normal?

(I would love to know how to tell if a picture is going to turn out sideways on here)

edit 2: Yep, just realized I'm in the wrong subforum. Old habits!)

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, where do I send you my chiropractor bill?

First off, congratulations. What model year is that LR4? I have a 2013 and thought the infotainment system was better overall than the one on my 2006 Sport (an LR3 in drags), even though it is far from being cutting edge. I agree about the steering wheel having too many buttons (and you still can't find the one that matters - the horn - while you are steering in an emergency...), but that's the trend these days. My wife's Ford is the same.

I like the tail lights of the 4 better than the 3's, sorry.

Regarding Sport mode, you may want to get your transmission adaptions reset (by a dealer, or you can do that yourself with a diagnostic tool such as IIDTool) to see if doing so cures your overly aggressive Sport mode behavior, perhaps the previous owner had a major lead foot and your car remembers that. It's normal for Sport mode not to ever engage 6th gear - even if you coast at high speeds it will stay on 5th - but unless you are climbing a hill or something I can't imagine the car holding on to 3rd and refusing to upshift even if you continue coasting at speeds as high as 50 mph. Does it eventually upshift if you ease up on the gas pedal?

andyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
congrats! lr4 tail lights are better than the 3's....

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, you are both forgiven. Embarassingly wrong, but forgiven, lol. Maybe I'll get used to them, but they look like disco balls in there, and from the side -OH MY- they are so bad. At least they are behind me when I drive so I can't see them. And I'll start backing into my garage at night HaHa!

Umberto,
It's a 2013 CPO.

In general, the nav unit is way better than LR3 - though still way behind everyone else.
I'm getting there on the radio part of it, but it's not very intuitive at all. I guess I figure they ought to stick to hard buttons until they figure out what they are doing.

Re the trans: No, I mean coasting like my foot completely off the pedal coasting. Shifting to sport mode downshifts a couple gears and engine brakes me down. This does not happen (so far) if I start up from a stop in sport mode, only if I shift into it while underway. It will shift out of third eventually after driving it a "while" longer. It's not the end of the world, just odd. Perhaps a flash is necessary though.

I've also noticed that the engine idles quite loudly. Almost sounds a little bit like a diesel. Don't know if it's normal but I like it...

andyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea, the engine is loud. My fan roars like a lion sometimes when I'm in a parking garage.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 lights are FAR better! I think you will struggle to find anyone to disagree that the Nav is pretty terrible. Just like you said, behind everyone else on the market. My 2013 in Sport mode will usually downshift and hold the revs higher. That's the entire point of Sport.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats and again welcome to the 2013 club.

LR4 taillights are better - brighter and no need to replace bulbs. You will get used to them. Reverse lights are brighter too.

Engine is noisier than the LR3 4.4. I think it's the fuel injectors clicking that makes that "diesel" sound. I had a 4.2 Audi that sounded similar due to the injectors. LR4 engine will also get louder in hot weather when either a secondary fan or compressor kicks on.

The radio buttons moved to the top left of the steering wheel. Seem better to me since I steer with my left hand. Old habit from years of driving manual transmissions.

How many 2013's does Knauz have? When I was doing my 2013 LR4 search, I narrowed my search down to 2 that they had, my Causeway Gray with 13K miles and a black one with 6K miles. Thankfully the shipping cost to Boston wasn't bad at all.

Lone Star landy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on a great looking Rover!!

I think the LR4 taillights and turn signals are a vast improvement over the LR3's. The LEDs look excellent and are more visible. Imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Derman

Reaction score
Congrats on the new rig!

I'm a reluctant fan of the tail lights - I didn't like them at first, but now I do. They grow on you. If you ever follow your car (!!), you'll notice how efficient they are, which is what they are supposed to be.

The nav on the LR4 is never going to win any prizes - it's just not, but it does do the trick when you need it.

And as far as the buttons on the right hand side of the steering wheel - I rarely use them. Mostly just to figure out what they do when I'm bored on the highway.

I love our LR4.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!
Paul, I'm not sure how many they had. I originally called on an '11 but honestly went sort of gaga over the '13 when they told me it had the HD pack, hadn't seen one in months. That and the CPO sold me. They've definitely got good pricing though. The same truck at my local LR dealer listed for $7000 more. And they always wonder why I don't every buy from them...

I'm definitely envious of some of you guys and where you live and what kind of terrain you get to go on. Here in Michigan, good tires are about all you need. And that's probably a stretch. It's got brand new Contis, I'll probably use them up a little bit over the summer and then figure it out.

I've noticed the lights are quite a bit yellower or less blue or whatever than the LR3. No biggie, just an observation.

So anything about the heater air intake leak? Maybe I'll take a look at it this weekend and see if it has the same design flaw.

Oh yeah, what's the biggest tire anyone has had as a spare and still been able to use the hitch? I've got the old style hitch, and it seems like it wouldn't work with anything bigger than stock.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM