2013 to 2014 Face Lift Headlight Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PowerfulUK has aftermarket 14+ grilles that aren't too expensive. Just make sure you get the grille that's actually intended for the 14+ and not a grille for a 13- that mimics the look of the 14+ grille (if that makes sense).

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PowerfulUK has aftermarket 14+ grilles that aren't too expensive. Just make sure you get the grille that's actually intended for the 14+ and not a grille for a 13- that mimics the look of the 14+ grille (if that makes sense).
Ahhh yeah, great heads up. Thank you.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I'm late to the party, but my driver's side headlight went out on my 2011 LR4 and I bought what I was told was the replacement from O'Reilly's for around $130. It was the Xenon bulb with igniter for the low beam housing. The lights work fine and it's kind of neat that they turn with the steering wheel (very noticeable in a round-a-bout) but the center of the low beam seems to be pointed low and towards the opposite lane, pretty much right on the centerline about 10 feet out. However, when I drive up to the garage door it seems like the right and left side lights are fairly even. Do I need to go back into the light assembly and raise the angle of the bulb if I want the driver's side to project straighter and further out or is this just the way they are? Thanks in advance.

San Moritz LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of headlights. My 2012 LR4 would literally burn through headlight bulbs like crazy. At once every year or so. It was so bad that I literally carried an extra set of replacement bulbs as a matter of routine. Two years ago I switched over to LED lights for the H-11 headlamp. Problem solved.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apparently, there are a couple of yellow hex-head adjusters in the headlight assembly that can be turned using an Allen wrench to adjust the vertical and horizontal direction of the headlights. I'll give that a try and report back on how it works.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I'm late to the party, but my driver's side headlight went out on my 2011 LR4 and I bought what I was told was the replacement from O'Reilly's for around $130. It was the Xenon bulb with igniter for the low beam housing. The lights work fine and it's kind of neat that they turn with the steering wheel (very noticeable in a round-a-bout) but the center of the low beam seems to be pointed low and towards the opposite lane, pretty much right on the centerline about 10 feet out. However, when I drive up to the garage door it seems like the right and left side lights are fairly even. Do I need to go back into the light assembly and raise the angle of the bulb if I want the driver's side to project straighter and further out or is this just the way they are? Thanks in advance.

All correct bulbs should have the filament in the same spot, meaning that you shouldn't have to re-aim your headlights that much after replacing bulbs.

You sure you installed the new bulb correctly?

Also, bulbs should probably be replaced in pairs, and not one at a time.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All correct bulbs should have the filament in the same spot, meaning that you shouldn't have to re-aim your headlights that much after replacing bulbs.

You sure you installed the new bulb correctly?

Also, bulbs should probably be replaced in pairs, and not one at a time.
Our 2013 does seem to burn through bulbs. I made the mistake of replacing both of our LR4 bulbs at the same time and guess what? That means they burn out around the same time and you can end up with no lights. Guess how my wife found out?
Now I wait a few months and replace the other one.

I believe the up/down adjustment is pretty easy as I remember doing it a long time ago.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's got a *itchin' sound system, I'll give it that much. We have a great classic rock station here in Bellingham, WA. (KISM). I'm listening to Foreigner "Double Vision" in throbbing surround sound as I cruise through the night along empty city streets on a Tuesday evening. Takes me back to the day.

As far as the headlights are concerned, no joy. I tried adjusting them, but no matter what I did it never seemed quite right. I think ryanjl may be right. I'll probably need to pull the new one and reinsert it, trying to achieve a more beneficial placement. There was some sort of strange claw-like device with a bunch of bent aluminum "fingers" surrounding the area where the square igniter was seated. Not sure what that was exactly, but it seemed pretty beat up. I can take a pic of it next time I pull the igniter.

The other thing is there are those rotating levers that lock the igniter and bulb into place. I can't imagine how you can get a different approach angle with the bulb as long as that locking system has the igniter firmly seated and locked into place. Like I said, I'll give it try, but I didn't feel like messing with it tonight. The clogged sunroof drain ordeal was enough for one day.

I just have to say, it was rather disappointing to see other vehicles with fixed headlights and $10 bulbs getting far better and more uniform illumination than I was with my $130 Xenon HID with tracking headlamps. Sure, it's kind of fun to watch the headlight beams swing back and forth with the turning of the steering wheel, but the novelty wears off quickly when the beams of light aren't aligned with each other and the overall illumination is pretty weak, compared to those with far cheaper fixed standard bulbs.

You can say, "Well, that's a Land Rover for ya." but that doesn't cut it in my book. To pay multiples more for a common item, like a low-beam headlight, only to have it be inferior to standard headlights is maddening.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our 2013 does seem to burn through bulbs. I made the mistake of replacing both of our LR4 bulbs at the same time and guess what? That means they burn out around the same time and you can end up with no lights. Guess how my wife found out?
Now I wait a few months and replace the other one.

I believe the up/down adjustment is pretty easy as I remember doing it a long time ago.

Something not right. In Canaada our headlights at full power are the DRL option so the bi xenons are on constantly. I replaced my 2010 bulbs in 2016 as a precaution but have never had one burn out otherwise.

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's got a *itchin' sound system, I'll give it that much. We have a great classic rock station here in Bellingham, WA. (KISM). I'm listening to Foreigner "Double Vision" in throbbing surround sound as I cruise through the night along empty city streets on a Tuesday evening. Takes me back to the day.

As far as the headlights are concerned, no joy. I tried adjusting them, but no matter what I did it never seemed quite right. I think ryanjl may be right. I'll probably need to pull the new one and reinsert it, trying to achieve a more beneficial placement. There was some sort of strange claw-like device with a bunch of bent aluminum "fingers" surrounding the area where the square igniter was seated. Not sure what that was exactly, but it seemed pretty beat up. I can take a pic of it next time I pull the igniter.

The other thing is there are those rotating levers that lock the igniter and bulb into place. I can't imagine how you can get a different approach angle with the bulb as long as that locking system has the igniter firmly seated and locked into place. Like I said, I'll give it try, but I didn't feel like messing with it tonight. The clogged sunroof drain ordeal was enough for one day.

I just have to say, it was rather disappointing to see other vehicles with fixed headlights and $10 bulbs getting far better and more uniform illumination than I was with my $130 Xenon HID with tracking headlamps. Sure, it's kind of fun to watch the headlight beams swing back and forth with the turning of the steering wheel, but the novelty wears off quickly when the beams of light aren't aligned with each other and the overall illumination is pretty weak, compared to those with far cheaper fixed standard bulbs.

You can say, "Well, that's a Land Rover for ya." but that doesn't cut it in my book. To pay multiples more for a common item, like a low-beam headlight, only to have it be inferior to standard headlights is maddening.
Best advice. Quit trying to make the first-gens work for you. I did it all. Aiming, bulb mods, polishing lenses. Forget it. One of THE best mods, getting the facelift xenons in Euro pattern. Things are freaking amazing, even for $1,200/pair.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA