Aftermarket Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Turiroc

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm 5K miles into my 2012 LR4 which I purchased as a CPO back in December and it appears as if my rear brakes need to be replaced. The warning light hasn't come on yet, however, they squeal really bad and have about 14k miles on them since the previous owner had them replaced.

I've been reading good reviews on Akebono pads but can only find them for the rear. Can't find a part number for the front anywhere including the Akebono website. Has anyone used these and can perhaps share the correct part number with me? Not sure about buying pads for the rear and having to use a different brand for the front.

Also been looking at EBC Greenstuff. Whats your experience with them? Would you use them again?

Any other brand that I should consider?

I appreciate the feedback and any suggestions.

Art

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Call Akebono's customer service and ask to speak to one of their rep's, may help.

Turiroc

Reaction score
Received an email from Akebono Customer service confirming that front pads are not available for 2012 LR4 but hopefully in the future.

Would it be best to choose a pad that is available for both front and rear? If so, what's the best option? Or should I use the Akebono for the rear and then figure out the front when I cross that path?

How long do OEM rotors typically last? This car was driven 36k miles in just over 18 months and brakes were changed a few times during that period but never the rotors. They now have 41k miles on them.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stay with the Akebono's for the rear and try a set of good ceramic pads from Advanced Auto, they are pretty good.

samcarloso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with oem brakes. They have superb performance and you just can't beat the smoothness and stopping power that these brakes have to offer. The only one issue I have is the amount of brake dust these leave on the rims. However, doesn't really bother me since I wash my lr4 every other week. And as wierd as it might sound, I enjoy washing my lr4.

Last edited:

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have EBC rotors and yellow pads on the front and rear. All good after 8K miles so far...I changed my rotors at 28K miles but they still had plenty left.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would vote OEM myself.

I have 23k miles on my 2013, just had it in for service and they said I had only worn down 1-2mm of pad. So... Iowa must be good for brakes since I don't do a lot of stop and go, but I figured towing my boat all over heck and back would have done more than that.

So, you can make them last, I guess its just about how you drive, how much you coast to a stop rather than using the dust.

Daniel Hull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
14K seems pretty early for rear pads. Squeaking doesn't mean the pads are low, it's fairly hard with these trucks to not have squeaking pads, even when they are new. You can try replacement but if you find someone that will guarantee no squeaking you will be pretty lucky. As for pads..there really is a lot less difference than marketing hype, no real benefit in the expensive pads. Rear rotors should last at least 2 sets of pads. Of course all of this is dependent on how you drive....14K on the highway is a lot different than 14K off-road. My recommendation is to check your pad thickness...if still good and you want to try to improve the squeaking...re-lube the pads and properly set them once installed.

Turiroc

Reaction score
Thank you for all your replies. I went to the dealer yesterday for an alignment, just had new tires installed, and had them check the rear brakes. They did indeed say they needed to be replaced and also recommended replacing the rotors at this point.

Anyone use PowerStop brakes? Met a mechanic that worked with a Land Rover dealer for about 10 years and decided to branch out on his own. He works almost exclusively with Land Rovers and offers these for a decent price. He says he's never had an issue during the last two years hes used them but I thought i'd ask here.

Izzyandsue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am on my second set of EBC Greens, 40K miles on truck and original discs. No problems whatsoever. If you do the work yourself, I recommend a pair of disc calipers to measure thickness, to avoid paying extra for unnecessary parts that have plenty of life yet. That way you can measure discs at different locations both radially and along the circumference. Mine are only 1/2 way through.

I have used PowerStop rotors on other cars, fine products as far as I can tell too.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635