Coolant Crossover Pipe Repair 5.0 V8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: I am still leaking coolant from somewhere... I just haven't figured out the source. It's strange because it is inconsistent and there are no signs of leaking or dripping from the engine... block valley is dry, front of engine is dry, back of engine is dry, hoses and connections are dry... yet, there is coolant on the skid plate (towards the front) and in the driveway. A possible correlation I am starting to see is that it only seems to leak when it sits overnight, and the outdoor air temp is fairly cold.. below 40ish degrees F. So far, it hasn't dipped below that temp very often, which kind of makes the inconsistency make sense. I am wondering if there is a hairline crack in the radiator that only leaks when it contracts from cold weather... previous pressure tests didn't indicate a leak there, but I guess I will try again. My knowledge is limited, so will be grateful for any help with a few (probably dumb) questions:

-I haven't pulled the skid plate off yet to see drip locations, but what coolant components are towards the bottom of the engine bay that I should consider?
-Will a cold engine cooling system pressure test from the reservoir show a radiator leak? My simple understanding is that the thermostat blocks flow to the radiator until it warms up.
-Is there a way to pressurize only the radiator using the top hose? (This may be a dumb idea)
-Maybe a dye test would be better?
If you have OEM coolant (and maybe other brands too, not sure) it will glow pretty good under a UV flashlight.

I had a very small leak from my radiator. Coolant never even hit the ground.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
As above, OEM coolant is UV active, no need for adding anything.
Plenty of locations to examine, take your pick.
Time to get dirty!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 32

RoverTide

Reaction score
Thanks guys... Will grab a UV light and take a look.

F1racer - did you end up replacing your radiator?

txfromwi - Thanks for the cooling system images. Curious where you got those?

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
F1racer - did you end up replacing your radiator?
Yup. It was a pain in the ass.

It's difficult to remove if you don't disconnect the AC condenser and evacuate all of the refrigerant.

It was easier getting my replacement in, but that was after I figured out how it was going to fit. I think there are a few threads here related to the replacement.

RoverTide

Reaction score
Yup. It was a pain in the ass.

It's difficult to remove if you don't disconnect the AC condenser and evacuate all of the refrigerant.

It was easier getting my replacement in, but that was after I figured out how it was going to fit. I think there are a few threads here related to the replacement.
Good to know. I need a new ac compressor... So, if my radiator needs replacing I'll do it before I fix the ac.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score

RoverTide

Reaction score
Latest.... Had a few puddles under the car, and had to add a few ounces of coolant earlier last week. So, I added some UV dye to the coolant and have been driving it for a few days. I haven't seen a puddle under the car, nor have I seen any glowing drips/leaks (using the UV light) anywhere in the engine bay since. Not sure what to think about that. I guess I will just continue keep an eye on it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM