Feels Like LR4 is Braking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnnycakes

Reaction score
I have a 2016 LR4 HSE

35k miles

replaced brakes/rotors and calipers about 4-6 months ago.

I’m not sure if I am supposed to be feeling this, but when I lay off the acceleration pedal, it feels like the car is braking? I know the car is heavy, I’m not sure of what I’m feeling is excessive.

anyone else ever have that feeling?

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably a sticking or seized brake caliper. I had to replace one of my rear calipers since it was so rusted and sticking.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go for a highway drive with little braking. After about 15mins pull over and check all four of your wheel temperatures with a hand held temp sensor. Fronts should match and rear should match. If one is much higher than the other that is your culprit.

Johnnycakes

Reaction score
Where should I be pointing the laser? Brake pad, calipers, rotor, rim?

Go for a highway drive with little braking. After about 15mins pull over and check all four of your wheel temperatures with a hand held temp sensor. Fronts should match and rear should match. If one is much higher than the other that is your culprit.

Johnnycakes

Reaction score
I threw the car in neutral and glided perfectly... doubt it’s the brakes. Feels like the transmission is shifting and slowing me down. I can see the tachometer respond when I feel the slowing

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I threw the car in neutral and glided perfectly... doubt it’s the brakes. Feels like the transmission is shifting and slowing me down. I can see the tachometer respond when I feel the slowing

If you suspect the transmission is the culprit, put it in sport mode and select a specific gear (start at top gear working your way down) and try the gas and letting go of the gas. You should be able to isolate the issue quickly of that is what it is.

Johnnycakes

Reaction score
I checked the brake temps - didn’t seem like one was much hotter than the others

I’m pretty sure it happens when I get down to first gear, feels like it is really trying to stop me.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't get mad at me for asking but you're not putting it into Command Shift mode while driving are you? That will definitely create engine braking that is very effective. At any rate it does sound like a transmission-related effect you're experiencing.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ZF8 transmission used in normal shifting mode should enter coast mode (freewheeling) when you take your foot off the accelerator, just like most other cars. In sport mode or manual mode, it will not enter coast, and you’ll feel the transmission downshift and drag. Hill descent mode does the same thing, but to a much greater degree (the car also modulates speed and traction using the brakes in this mode).

If you are feeling the tranny downshift and kick up the RPMs when slowing down in normal shifting mode, then I think something is not right.

If you have a code reader, check for codes - or drive to a local autoparts store that will let you use their code reader.

You might try toggling the hill descent control on and off - see if that makes any difference. Or try the car in Hill Descent mode to what it feels like - make sure it’s working. It will only work up to 30 mph, then will shut itself off.

The other thing to try is putting it in manual mode, as Quijote suggested. Pick a high gear gear and try to slow to a stop - see if it has the same feeling. Manual mode will leave the car in gear - won’t coast - but as you slow down that high gear won’t create much drag.

If you can’t get anywhere with these tests, and your satisfied it’s not the brakes, I think you’ll need to have the transmission serviced.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM