Issues with my LR4 2010 HSE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mare'sLR4

Reaction score
Hi - I love my "truck" but there are always issues with this vehicle. I have 44000 miles on it and already have had brakes, pads rotors replaced twice. Problem is brakes are so loud, and we replaced them with ceramic pads, still noisy, forward and reverse. Its embarrassing especially a suv in this price range. It always smells like antifreeze is leaking, and dealer says can't find any leaks. My heated steering wheel never works, tire pressure system says its faulty. My controls on steering wheel for the phone doesn't work, I have had the engine light on. Oh btw, on the highway at 70 mph, the left trim on the pillar on the outside popped up. I'm at the point I want to get rid of it. Has anyone experienced any of these issues? My husband's 2009 BMW never has problems, and brakes, pads, rotors haven't been replaced at all on his. The LR is a safe vehicle, especially for my family, but one feels there are other suvs just as safe and more reliable than my LR4.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The A-pillar trim on the RH of my windshield popped partially loose while I was in Death Valley a few weeks back. Not enough to fly off, but enough to allow a fair amount of wind noise in the cabin at speed. In fairness, it was windy beyond belief on the highway that day and I was hauloing a** as I was late meeting my group... I stopped by a local dealership when I came back and purchased a couple new plastic clips (for $7/ea! Maybe 20 cents in plastic and rubber), and snap! Problem solved. Same thing happened to my 2006 Sport, by the way (under similar "windy" circumstances.) My windshield was replaced recently due to a crack, so it's possible the trim may have been weakened back then.

Haven't experienced any of your other issues on my 2013, knock on wood. All my brake pads have been replaced, the rears at 20K miles and the fronts just last week at 30K. Original rotors are still good, no squeaks or squeals - I've stuck to OEM pads. I think ceramic may have something to do with the noise, though. It stops great and makes little dust, but ceramic is not known to be the quietest material in a brake pad. Sounds like most of the other problems you are having are of the annoying variety, why can't the dealer address them under warranty? Or do they come and go?

Last edited:

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi - I love my "truck" but there are always issues with this vehicle. I have 44000 miles on it and already have had brakes, pads rotors replaced twice. Problem is brakes are so loud, and we replaced them with ceramic pads, still noisy, forward and reverse. Its embarrassing especially a suv in this price range. It always smells like antifreeze is leaking, and dealer says can't find any leaks. My heated steering wheel never works, tire pressure system says its faulty. My controls on steering wheel for the phone doesn't work, I have had the engine light on. Oh btw, on the highway at 70 mph, the left trim on the pillar on the outside popped up. I'm at the point I want to get rid of it. Has anyone experienced any of these issues? My husband's 2009 BMW never has problems, and brakes, pads, rotors haven't been replaced at all on his. The LR is a safe vehicle, especially for my family, but one feels there are other suvs just as safe and more reliable than my LR4.

As far as brake pads and rotors go, you probably aren't going to find much sympathy here. It's a heavy truck and brakes don't last forever. I've had to replace mine as well. With that being said, at 44,000 miles, you are still covered under warranty. I would make a list of all the issues and leave it with the dealership for a few days until it is 100% fixed to your level of satisfaction. I am at 57,000 miles on my 2010, and my antifreeze doesn't leak, my engine light is not on, all of my controls are working, and my A-Pillar stays attached at highway speeds. I hate to see an LR-owner consider jumping ship just because his/her dealership isn't making the proper repairs. If you haven't been happy at the closest dealership, take it somewhere else. Maybe another dealership will bring you a loaner and retrieve your vehicle in hopes of earning your business.

These all sound like warranty issues (with the exception of brake maintenance) that should be repaired before you are out of warranty and stuck with footing a hefty a repair bill. Good luck, and keep us posted.

eye.surgeon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A big heavy vehicle with high performance braking means frequent pad changes. Like every 15k wouldn't be unusual at all. Ceramic brake pads are a mistake, change back to OEM or equivalent next time. The other issues have your dealer sort out. I have 21k miles on my 2011 and it's been trouble free but is on it's second set of brake pads. I expect it to be reliable for 5 years total more or less and then I am on to the next one.

mattypV50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the tire pressure fault and the sensor's need to be upgraded - there is a bulletin for this. It's really up to the dealership. I took it where I bought it and they said it was nothing. There was no codes.

Took it to another and they fixed it in no time. Some dealerships just suck.

This new dealership has fixed a lot, reduced engine performance, some rattles (entire new glove box). So just tell them to fix it.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A big heavy vehicle with high performance braking means frequent pad changes. Like every 15k wouldn't be unusual at all. Ceramic brake pads are a mistake, change back to OEM or equivalent next time. The other issues have your dealer sort out. I have 21k miles on my 2011 and it's been trouble free but is on it's second set of brake pads. I expect it to be reliable for 5 years total more or less and then I am on to the next one.

Why are ceramic brake pads a mistake?

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think some folks just don't do the research and get the wrong pads. After reading through these forums, I replaced my pads with the Akebono ceramics and they are the best pads I've had on any vehicle... quiet, good performance and a massive reduction on dust... so, I feel that the right ceramics are the way to go on our vehicles!

samcarloso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 2010 LR4 lux is at the dealership now. I had some rattle in the steering column, Puddle light and led mood light flickers when you open passenger door. Cigarette lighter light also cuts off and on. and some vibration at 1900 rpms(maybe driveshaft bushings). I only have 29,000 miles on it now. Other things that have been replaced in the last 3 months are Air compressor, Hydro Bushings, calibration on passenger window, Door handle came off at a carwash, Satellite radio update, Battery replacement, and Buffer for gear box. I bought it CPO so i still have 2 1/2 yrs. left of warranty. I'm hoping after all these fixes i won't have any other major issues. Other than it being in the shop 10% of the time I love my lr4. (I have also been able to test drive Evoque, XJ, and, XF for loaners.) lol if you do plan on used LR get a CPO. and be very vigilant on any repairs needed before you buy.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think some folks just don't do the research and get the wrong pads. After reading through these forums, I replaced my pads with the Akebono ceramics and they are the best pads I've had on any vehicle... quiet, good performance and a massive reduction on dust... so, I feel that the right ceramics are the way to go on our vehicles!

I'm also running Akebono ceramics and they've reduced the dust by 90% with the same stopping power. Don't see how they could be a mistake.

Brep

Reaction score
Have a 2011 LR4 HSE with 27K miles. Just had all new OEM brake pads put on, rotors were still fine. I had the same left A pillar issue which was resolved with a trip to the dealer for new clips. Have no issues with anti freeze smell, heated steering wheel or TPMS to date. Phone does not connect every 4 months or so, but fixes itself; if it doesn't go awry every 4 months or so I start to worry...

I would consider myself pretty lucky with it so far and truly enjoy it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112