LR4 2011 vs 2012

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello there! New member here. I'm currently looking at some 2011 and 2012 LR4 to purchase. I can't seem to find any info on what the difference is between the two years. Can anyone give me some insight?

Also, I currently have a 2007 RRS SC. Can I assume that the reliability is about the same with the RRS and LR4's? Or has the LR4 been improved over the years?

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello there! New member here. I'm currently looking at some 2011 and 2012 LR4 to purchase. I can't seem to find any info on what the difference is between the two years. Can anyone give me some insight?

Also, I currently have a 2007 RRS SC. Can I assume that the reliability is about the same with the RRS and LR4's? Or has the LR4 been improved over the years?

One issue I know of between those years is the hydraulic tensioner issue in the 5.0 engine. This was an issue in 2011 and you will want to find a vehicle that has had this replaced or has under about 40k miles. Or, simply keep your eye out for the issues. I believe there is a TSB out for that year with a section of VIN's.

Last edited:

andyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, how would I go about identifying this issue?

eljefe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i believe the radio navigation is way better in the 2012's and up so that is a plus. I think you can Bluetooth stream audio to radio and the navigation user interface is better. Although I think any smart phone with google maps is way better than any car navigation besides telsa.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A hydraulic lifter.

Might actually be a hydraulic tensioner now that I think about it. Either way, it relates to keeping the timing chain taught. There was evidently a bad batch that made it into the LR's (LR4, RRS, RRFF) in 2011. There will be a noise associated with it when it first acts up and then from there if it isn't fixed it can cause the chain to skip a tooth and then you will need a new engine.

This is all based on a conversation with my Service Adviser as I continue to be in my service department and they have a 2011 LR4 on a lift getting an entire new engine because of this issue.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99