LR4 Brakes and Rotors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score

ClevelandLR4

Reaction score
On amazon.
Without wear sensor( usually 11$ on Amazon)

2C46606F-971D-4FE4-9F58-CC84B46AB14C.png

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nobody seems to be talking about the insurance liability of working on and installing their own new brakes.

You have an accident and the adjuster says "who worked on the brakes last" and you say you.... good luck.

I'd NEVER EVER EVER work on my own brakes. Not worth the liability risk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many accidents are caused by brake failure? I bet none.

I trust myself much more than a random working at a muffler shop or the brake "guy" at the dealer.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many accidents are caused by brake failure? I bet none.

I trust myself much more than a random working at a muffler shop or the brake "guy" at the dealer.

The better and more pertinent question is how many insurance claims are denied because the adjuster finds a reason to not pay it?

If you want to save a few hundred doing your own brakes and not have any leg to stand on if the unthinkable happens, go for it. I wouldn't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would doubt any would be denied for this reason.

They would not only have to investigate the claim to determine who worked on the brakes, they would also have to determine the faulty brake work was the cause in fact of the accident. The cost to do that on each and every claim would far surpass what they would save in the one in two-hundred case where the guy who worked on his own brakes didn't know what he was doing.

It would take you, the driver, saying "I pushed the brakes, but, dangit, I must have really ****** them up when I did the brake job yesterday, and that's why I slammed into that other car" in order for it to move a a needle on the insurance adjuster's meter.

Truth be told, the guy working on his own car probably does a better job than the low-level mechanic that gets tasked with doing a brake job. That's the kind of work a big mechanic operation gives to the new guys with little or no experience. It's easy work and it's hard to mess it up.

Do you rotate your own tires? I'd guess more accidents happen due to improperly tightened lug nuts than they do to bad brake jobs.

Last edited:

hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, made a mistake on original post. $1450 is for front and rear pads and rotors, OEM.

Getting closer, but still too high. A full OEM rebuild kit will run you around $900. It's not a $550 labor job. Not unless they're charging dealership labor rates, that is. Pretty sure my local dealership charges around $600 in labor for a brake job. A local shop should be a fraction of that.

LR4inAZ

Reaction score
I have done brakes on every car I owned - AUDI Coupe/A6/S5, Landrover LR3/LR4, Mercedes CLK500, Toyota’s and Honda’s - and if you can’t change your brakes - you can learn and do it right - if you have any mechanical ability and a few hours of time. It is literally just one step above changing your oil - but since I change oil with a vac pump - maybe 2 steps above oil change.

upgrade your pads and rotors - do it yourself and save a bundle of money. Stop tech and EBC are your friends in doing this right. Sensors from Amazon worked great too.

satisfaction of doing it yourself - even more worth it when you are done

Matt Weiss

Reaction score
A month ago, I DYIed my brakes. I got new front rotors, new front pads, two new sensors and rear pads. The rear rotors were still good. My total OTD price was $219(with tax and shipping). I am happy with the results. Cost breakdown is below. Parts all came from rockauto.

BREMBO P44022N Brake Pad $ 37.89 x 1 $37.89
PAGID 355122922 Rotor $ 57.79 x 2 $115.58
PAGID 355251341 Brake Pad Wear Sensor $8.09 x 1 $8.09
PAGID 355251331 Brake Pad Wear Sensor $8.13 x 1 $8.13
POWER STOP 171099 (17-1099) Brake Pad $22.89 x 1 $22.89

This makes sense, what makes Land Rover so different?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut