LR4 v. New Disco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After spending a bunch of time in both trucks, I felt that this thread was only a matter of time as there is a lot of hubbub about which one is better. Here's how I rate them, with which vehicle is better in each category:

Engine: LR4 (5 liter). They say that there isn't much of a power difference, but acceleration and response feel much stronger in the 5.0.

Cameras: D5, when they work. Greater clarity and smoother-not a choppy 25-ish frames per second like in the LR4

Radio: LR4, The Harman/Kardon system has better imaging, clarity, the soundstage is farther forward, and the low end detail makes it clearly the winner. I tested this with my critical listening CD I use when testing high-end audio equipment (My other PITA hobby). The D5 radio/source interface is better, and station selection is instantaneous.. In the end it boils down to sound quality, and no matter how I adjusted the Meridian sound system everything below 500hz starts getting muddy..

Informant System: D5, It's faster, higher resolution, intuitive. Navigation is really nice with the bigger screen, and tracks your movement smoothly. You still experience some delays with it, but all in all it is the best..

Visibility: LR4, the D5 windscreen is a softer angle and the doors are higher. If you are on a rough/offroad trail, low windows allow you to lean out and see where your tires are going to attack, if you are going to miss that rock, or if you are about to lodge a stump in the side of your door. The D5 door doesn't appear to be designed with this in mind, despite all the off-road capability talk..

Lighting: Headlights: D5 by a hair.. Really bright and wide on both trucks, but the color of the Xenons on the D5 seem to bring out more detail. Interior: D5 hands down. Very luxury car-ish, cool LED backlighting under the seats, dash and other features

Ride: LR4, but this is truly a matter of taste. Both vehicles ride very well and take road bumps softly, but firmly. One big thing to note: Driver position seems to be very different in these cars.. In the LR4 I feel much more upright (but comfortable) as if I am in an offroad vehicle, but in the D5 I am more reclined as if I was in a sedan. The D5 is much lighter, and you can feel it in the turns.

Interior: Tie: The fit and finish is nearly the same on both vehicles, but this again is an apples to oranges comparison.. The LR4 speaks to Luxury/Utility, and the D5 is geared for Luxury/Contemporary. The D5 matte dash and interior material (almost suede-ish) is prone to stains, I got pizza grease on the interior armrest on the door and after 20 minutes of scrubbing it still isn't completely out.. If you buy a D5, you can throw away your Armor-all: everything is piano gloss or matte in there. D5 is Lexus-quiet at 85mph.

Appearance: ...Annnd here we go again. I will say this, if you are buying a truck to get noticed/compliments/nods, the LR4 wears the crown. The D5 does a better job of disappearing into the crowd- I drove the first 1000 miles without a single glance from both the general public and LR/RR drivers alike. But after the first week or so, the damn thing starts growing on you in the fact that it is a really nice truck, but is such a departure from tradition.. In Far East markets (the ones that are growing the fastest for JLR) that favor the sleek, high tech look, this could be a game changer for sales. It may be ******* off us traditionalists, but "De gustibus non est disputandum", fellas.

Overall: If you put both trucks in front of me and said "Pick one", I'd drive away in the LR4. This is due to the LR4 looking, driving, and feeling more purpose-built, which is what I got into this game for. The LR4 does an excellent, excellent job of melding high-end quality and off road capability. The D5 is a dichotomy: It looks and feels like a high-tech luxury SUV, but in reality it can damn near drive over a steel picnic table.

The LR4 says "Let's do this". The D5 says "No doubt I can do this, but don't you dare mess up this interior with those muddy boots".

Off Soapbox. Now you can all go Google "De gustibus non est disputandum":biggrin:

Mike

Sbmargo

Reaction score
The new Discovery appears to be like the Evoque which I drove as a loaner. NO visibility out the windows, and the driver seat is not in the command position that the LR4 shares with the MBZ M and the Escalade.
LR4, hands down.

NeilP

Reaction score
I drove one a few months back and won't be going from LR4 to LR5 . The inside is too small/reconfigured and I don't like the shape-direction the Company has taken.
A long association is now over for me . It was fun whilst it lasted : starting with a Series III 88" diesel many years ago .

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tried to get in the 3rd row on the new Disco. Well, that didn't work well. I never did get in. Seamed like a crazy combination of buttons and levers and the latency on the button push to something happening left one wondering if it even worked at all. Who designed that, Willie Wonka?

The biggest bummer (and I told those knuckle heads preproduction) is that you can't remove the 2nd row middle seat. Dumb, dumb, dumb. On our 2015, I just unbolted and took it out. Most vans allow this too. The ingress/egress is greatly improved if you're only carrying six people. Our two kids sit in the 3rd row by walking in between the second row captain's chairs. People ask my wife how she got captain's chairs in the second row. Even grandma finds it easy to get back there.

Yeah, not a good time for Land Rover. The new Disco is now JAFSUV.

NeilP

Reaction score
Importer's customer research mob phoned me yesterday and asked me for a view on my recent encounter . I got the impression it's due to the poor take-up of the new launch.
Told them I thought the interior was a bad design ( just for example , third row get no aircon unless glass roof option specified ! And second row's is in the footwell ......... ) and I'm moving on ..........

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM