Oil leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MW3Designs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This morning I moved the LR4 so I could snow plow, and I noticed a small spot of something leaking. Immediately I stuck my finger in it and I suspect it to be oil. Pulled in the garage pulled the skidplate off and sure enough I got an issue. I can’t tell where it’s coming from, but I put the heat on in the garage and I will get back out there and start wiping it up. I looked underneath when I bought it and everything looked dry, no records of any leaks in the service history I got from the Indy. Going to need some help with this one.

5a572eec1734e4f2c4e88ecfdceb5ce3.jpg

af1cd44cd62e0df6d98cd61e9e8652bc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats a "nice" leak you have there. defintly appears to be oil. since its a good mount, it shouldn't be hard to locate the source.

take a flashlight and look up as far as you can, for any signs of oil/wetness/sticky dirt accumulation.

Last edited:

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is it transmission fluid by chance? I recall seeing a tsb on those transmission cooler lines developing a leak. There is a clamp bracket that can apparently rub a hole through the line.

MW3Designs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is it transmission fluid by chance? I recall seeing a tsb on those transmission cooler lines developing a leak. There is a clamp bracket that can apparently rub a hole through the line.
It does seem kind of red, but doesn’t have that transmission fluid smell. My sniffer doesn’t work very well after Covid-19....

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tell me more about this transmission cooler lines. I have a suspected “rear main seal” but monitored the engine oil for 7k miles and never dropped a lick blow max on the Digital oil measuring system (if that system is even trustworthy). I always assumed it was transmission fluid leaking from the torque converter because when I had the transmission fluid done it was a quart lower and then normal, within the next 2 weeks I had it done again because it faulted and they said it was already half Half a quart lower than normal. That being said it could also be those cooler lines.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tell me more about this transmission cooler lines. I have a suspected “rear main seal” but monitored the engine oil for 7k miles and never dropped a lick blow max on the Digital oil measuring system (if that system is even trustworthy). I always assumed it was transmission fluid leaking from the torque converter because when I had the transmission fluid done it was a quart lower and then normal, within the next 2 weeks I had it done again because it faulted and they said it was already half Half a quart lower than normal. That being said it could also be those cooler lines.

that would be unrelated.
chances are in your case, the trans fluid was not filled up properly, resulting in a a low reading. trans fill procedure is very specific for quantity and temperature, which could result in improper levels.

link to bulletin:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2014/SB-10070746-6903.pdf

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
spray the boy down with brake fluid and wipe it up thoroughly. Then take it for a short drive....like 10 miles. See if you see any fluid. If not then its a really small leak and you need to do a longer drive. The only thing you could do now is research....

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That TSB is the issue I was referring to, although I think the problem still existed in later models. Another TSB on the same problem was issued in 2017 that extended to the later model years.

Transmission cooler is on the bottom of the engine compartment - towards the front. If you look down past the belts, you can see the oil cooler lines. Better view from the bottom if you remove that front skid plate (as in the picture in the first post of this thread). The TSB that DaytonaRS7 posted has some good illustrations.

MW3Designs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I just got that sick to my stomach feeling. Pulled the radiator skid plate, and can see that the oil leak goes up pretty far. Haven’t had much time to get involved yet today. Later tonight I will look from the top down, maybe valve cover, was that an issue with these? I just bought this thing, could I have really missed this when looking it over?

6a4fb0bbbd93ec38f4155c6796b88514.jpg

6b7b20f9036906bcff370de8160afe70.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA