Oil leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't be too bad actually. Not having the supercharger saves you a lot of headache. Order the injector puller and injector seal tool.

Screenshot_20210209-200657.png

Atlantic British and most dealers sell the injector o-ring kit (Teflon seal, two o-rings, and an injector clip).

Remove intake boxes and resonator from tb.
Remove intake manifold (probably want new gaskets)
Remove pcv valve pipe to tb
Unclip wiring harness from coils, injectors, vvt solenoid, camshaft sensor, and (I think) vacuum pump; then push to the back of the engine or somewhere else out of the way.
Remove ignition coils
Remove hard fuel line coupling
Unplug fuel pressure sensor on the back of fuel rail
Remove fuel rail
Remove injectors
Remove idler pulley and bracket
Remove hard fuel line from HPFPs
Remove hard fuel line completely
Remove valve cover.
Reverse for install

EXCEPT USE BLACK RTV ON front corners of valve cover gasket during reinstall

I would recommend just replacing the whole valve cover. Comes with new gasket, pcv valves, and bolts. It should be about $200.
Screenshot_20210209-202536.png

Screenshot_20210209-202555.png

Screenshot_20210209-202605.png

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel like I’m reading a lot about leaking valve covers on these cars lately. Usually the passenger side. Wondering if anyone has ideas about underlying problems - is it the valve cover bolts vibrating loose, or maybe the breather system getting clogged and increasing pressure in the valve covers? I know my PCV in that passenger side cover seems to let more oil past than I would like. The LR dealer told me they all do it, but if it wasn’t designed to have that much oil in the breather, this alone could be increasing the pressure in the valve cover.

MW3Designs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been cleaning up as much of the oil as I can to pinpoint any other leaks. Most of the oil is located around the vacuum pump, and with the fan blowing it makes it difficult to rule out as one of my issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first valve cover gasket & alternator job was at 98K before my CPO warranty was up. I'm on my second valve cover gasket & alternator at 130K miles and fixing an oil leak at the upper timing chain cover as well. And replacing the front crossover pipe while in there. Already did the rear coolant manifold as well. Whoever buys this thing will get one of the best maintained LR4's available.

MW3Designs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had everything cleaned and wiped off last night. Went for a drive today, maybe 20 miles, and checked it. The vacuum pump looks a little suspicious, think I might have a leak there as well.

dcdd3c111b28990d223cce0cc6864fdf.jpg

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
100% vacuum pump leaking in that photo. easy fix.

that doesnt mean its the only culprit though....

MW3Designs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
100% vacuum pump leaking in that photo. easy fix.

that doesnt mean its the only culprit though....
I think there are more issues. I contacted the seller today, it was a small dealership, haven’t heard back, curious how that will turn out.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...youre trying to get teh selling dealer to fix this (or other issues)?
i wish you luck. once your out the door on a used car purchase, there is little to no recourse, unless extended warranty is purchased.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72