Oil leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

portlandlife

Reaction score
OP - How many miles are on your engine? I have the same motor and am following this thread. After driving it and seeing the oil leak near the vacuum pump, have you ruled out the valve cover gasket?

MW3Designs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have just about 125,000 miles on my LR4, the valve cover is leaking, but it isn’t very “wet”, at least not enough to be the 100% resin it’s leaking. I have been driving my other car for now until I can get some time to get more in depth.

I did find a semi-local Indy shop that works on Land Rover, and might take it there. Going to call them today. I usually do all my own work, but maybe it’s time.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt Weiss

Reaction score
i had same issue and had an independent shop who specializes in Euro cars fix mine and it was thousands of dollars - fuel injectors all broke when removing and had to replace

MW3Designs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had same issue and had an independent shop who specializes in Euro cars fix mine and it was thousands of dollars - fuel injectors all broke when removing and had to replace
Thousands.... I hope t was closer to the 2,000’s than the 4,000’s.... I hear you on the injector issues, indys and dealers don’t finesse it like doing it at home.

Matt Weiss

Reaction score
Mine had the same. The upper timing cover and valve covers were leaking oil. Also the vacuum pump was leaking oil.

portlandlife

Reaction score
OP - can you let us know what repairs you did and if it solved the leak? What did the dealership say?

MW3Designs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP - can you let us know what repairs you did and if it solved the leak? What did the dealership say?

When I started this post I was going to replace the vacuum pump, as I suspected it to be “one” of my leaks. It wasn’t in stock at the time so I just grabbed a new gasket. Things have been busy and the LR4 was parked until I can get to it.

I still think it’s strange how I drove it all the way from CT to NY, and for over a month, not even one drop in the driveway, and then all of a sudden it’s a leaking. I think it hates me.

I will update with info as I work through it.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
belly pans hide alot of leaks. the oil can pool up for a while before it starts dripping through holes or over the edge.

good luck. hopefully this solves one of the problems.

MW3Designs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about doing a conventional oil change (using the drain plug) while I have the belly pans off. My only concern is what type of seal is on that drain plug, copper crush washer? I have a box of assorted copper crush washers, just don't want to pull the drain plug and find out I don't have what's needed.

Seller said they changed the oil, but I have no clue what he used. Might sound crazy, but I like to know what oil I am running.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut