Oil leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MW3Designs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...youre trying to get teh selling dealer to fix this (or other issues)?
i wish you luck. once your out the door on a used car purchase, there is little to no recourse, unless extended warranty is purchased.

I had to let him know what he sold me..... will I ever see a penny from them, well I know how that goes.... I am 2 for 2 with vehicles.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long ago did you buy it?

Around here, most dealers have a 30-day warranty. That language actually limits their liability. A dealer operates under different standards than an individual, and implied warranties take over if they don't use any language to limit those.

Of course, you'd have to find a consumer protection - type attorney who would take the case. Probably a much bigger PITA than it's worth.

MW3Designs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just picked it up last month, don’t even think it’s been 30days yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Obviously every state is slightly different, but the Attorney General webpage for the state usually has a summary of requirements. Here is Connecticut: https://portal.ct.gov/AG/Consumer-Issues/Auto-Issues/Buying-a-Used-Car.

Again - not a lawyer in CT, this is not legal advice, same disclaimers. I really have no special knowledge in this area at all, just trying to point you in the right direction for more info.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
100% vacuum pump leaking in that photo. easy fix.

that doesnt mean its the only culprit though....
Remember that means replacing the entire vacuum pump, with the newer version, which may require different length bolts.

I tried unsuccessfully to apply a bead of sealant around the outside of the old vac pump cover. It reduced the leak 90% but the last 10% is driving me nuts. I'm going to have to replace the blasted thing. *sigh*

If the vac pump can be R&R'd without draining the oil pan, that is fantastic. The FSM implies you must drain the oil, or you'll get an oil bath. Would be fabulous if that's wrong.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember that means replacing the entire vacuum pump, with the newer version, which may require different length bolts.

I tried unsuccessfully to apply a bead of sealant around the outside of the old vac pump cover. It reduced the leak 90% but the last 10% is driving me nuts. I'm going to have to replace the blasted thing. *sigh*

If the vac pump can be R&R'd without draining the oil pan, that is fantastic. The FSM implies you must drain the oil, or you'll get an oil bath. Would be fabulous if that's wrong.
I had my LR4 parked on a (very) slight incline when i replaced my vacuum pump. No oil spilled out.

I don't see why you cant just replace the gasket? that said, I replaced my entire pump.

It appears as though his pump is the newer/revised one. longer bolts shouldn't be needed.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The old style pump leaks from the front cover, not from the seal at the rear against the block. Have to replace the entire pump to cure a leaking old pump.

HOWEVER, you are correct! The pump in the photo is the new style with more bolts holding the cover on, with an improved design. My bad, I missed that. I'm also not convinced the leak in the photo is actually from the pump though; it may be from elsewhere and the oil is moving around the pump area.

The old design is shown below, stamped steel cover with only 2 screws... if replacing the old one, different bolts are needed for the new-style pump:

71W-Ev0dpXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

MW3Designs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about the crank seal? Is that replaceable by accessing from the front of the engine by removing the pulley?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA